Dough fir pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
Tried and burned blazer Douglas fir pellets last year and they burned great.there is the least amount of ash I've ever had. This year I bought the same pellets,and they seem to burn black and somewhat smokey at times.My glass gets blacker faster, as I am burning a Harman xxv.I do notice more fines and I notice what looks like flat black paperlike disk on the burn pot at times. Has anyone used these and had this problem? Could this be from the finest?

Have you cleaned your stove recently? Combustion fan, venting, etc. Sounds like it maybe an airflow problem.

I suggest you try a bag or two of another DF and see if you have the same issue. This way you can determine if it is a stove issue or a pellet issue. I'm burning the new version of Okies DF ...now bagged by Northern Warmth. They are very close to the same burn last year of Okies. A bit more ash but not as many fines. Unfortunately, each year can bring different results for all pellets.

I suggest you try a bag or two of another DF and see if you have the same issue. This way you can determine if it is a stove issue or a pellet issue. I'm burning the new version of Okies DF ...now bagged by Northern Warmth. They are very close to the same burn last year of Okies. A bit more ash but not as many fines. Unfortunately, each year can bring different results for all pellets.

I don't think these Northern Warmth are just rebagged Okie DF's. There is something different about them.
They are a different color, don't smell the same, are not as hot, and leave quite a bit more ash. ( although still less than most pellets)
Luckily I still have 3 tons of Okie's left.

Reactions: mpcm
I don't think these Northern Warmth are just rebagged Okie DF's. There is something different about them.
They are a different color, don't smell the same, are not as hot, and leave quite a bit more ash. ( although still less than most pellets)
Luckily I still have 3 tons of Okie's left.
Pretty sure the Northern Warmth are Pinnacle Douglas Fir. Okies used to be rebagged bear mountain.

If you want a good Douglas fir try some Olympus if you can find it. I like them better than the old okies.

Guess my dealer lied to me...Told me Okies went out of business and Northern Warmth took over bagging their stock. Possible he was wrong. You are right that they do not smell the same and the ash is higher. Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. The point of my post was to suggest trying a different pellet to make sure it was not a stove issue.

I burn Bear Mtn Doug fir pellets. Expensive to buy in the midwest but the best ever. Burn much hotter, longer and can go almost a month without filling the ash pan. Worth the cost to me.