Dovre Horizon 500cc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefano

Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2009
Northern Ca
Hello,
recently my stove started to blow smoke from the little hole top right just under the dampener lever, only when I close the dampener completely.
It feels very unsafe and unhealthy.
I suspect that my catalytic combustor is at the end of its life. Am I correct?
In order to change the cartridge (?), I have to unscrew the top lid from inside the stove. I'm afraid to brake the screws because they seem absolutely frozen.
Do you have any tip about how to proceed?
In the meantime, it's there a way to operate it safely the way it is?
Thank you
Stefano

For one thing you should never close the damper more than 45*..unless of course you have a flue fire.

Sure the stove will operate OK for awhile cause there's holes in that flapper plate. But closing it down slows the draft so much that creosote will quickly form and slowly choke off your chimney.

Just drop a balled up chain tied to a rope to roughly clean out the chimney. When a break in the weather presents itself do a better job with a brush.

With a properly drafting flue you can drill a 1/4 hole in the pipe and smoke won't escape. From your description it sounds like you caught this in time...so it shouldn't be too bad to clean out.

savageactor7 said:
For one thing you should never close the damper more than 45*..unless of course you have a flue fire.

I think he is talking about the damper to engage the cat.

I have the same stove and once in a while it will do that but not often. I believe if the cat stops working that the secondary reburn will not work. Yer cat could be plugged tho....

Status
Not open for further replies.