Dovre Stove won’t light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bwalters199

Nov 1, 2019
Rochester, NY
I have a Dovre DV450 Natural Gas Stove that has worked fine until this year (Came with our house and 3rd season using it). I went to light it and it will not stay running. I push the knob down on the “Pilot” setting and hit the igniter button, the pilot lights up, but once I release the knob to go from “Pilot” to “On” the flame goes out every time. I did pull the stove apart and clean off any residue that may have been on the thermocouple and such. Put it back together and same result. Not sure where else to look.

You probably have a bad thermocouple. In order to test it you will need to have a millivolt tester. If you have one, we can tell you what steps to take.

You will have to disconnect the t-couple (TC) from the valve. Remove the glass or front of the unit & have someone apply flame to the TC, while you touch one test probe to the copper sheathing & the other to the small ball-like feature that seats in the valve. You need to have a reading greater than 27 mV in order for the TC to actuate the pilot mechanism & allow gas flow. If it’s borderline or less than 27 mV, replace it.

You will have to disconnect the t-couple (TC) from the valve. Remove the glass or front of the unit & have someone apply flame to the TC, while you touch one test probe to the copper sheathing & the other to the small ball-like feature that seats in the valve. You need to have a reading greater than 27 mV in order for the TC to actuate the pilot mechanism & allow gas flow. If it’s borderline or less than 27 mV, replace it.
Looks like i‘m only getting 22 mV. Seems like the TC might be the issue.

Yup sometimes the new ones are bad too. They really are not made well anymore.

Try holding the button for a few minutes. Sometimes that's needed. At least that's my experience with thermocouples on water heaters and boilers. The plumbers jamb a small screwdriver on the side of the button so they don't have to hold it for so long.

If still not working make sure the pilot flame is about 1/3 from the tip of the thermocouple, or adjust position and try to light again.

Last edited:
this might help

Reactions: bwalters199
IMG_5346.jpeg

Does turning the “Pilot” adjustment screw change the flame? Can you disassemble the pilot hood to clear out debris from the pilot orifice & pilot tube?