1. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    So as not to hijack another thread ....

Really close in key respects to what we now have after the "thinking" back in 1990. The ground level of our 1500 sq ft walkout is our fully livable space: large living room (40 x 15), dining and kitchen area (25 x 16) in an open space "L" with the living room. Then a modest master bedroom, small guest bedroom, main bathroom with soaker tub and 2nd bathroom with shower, and a utility area with washer/dryer and a large closet for coats, boots, linens, etc. This level is heated by a small wood stove in the living room, with backup electric baseboard.

40% of the lower level 1500 sq ft walkout are two adjoining guest bedrooms, then a third bathroom with shower and the rest is fairly typical basement space with an area for additional sleeping space if needed. This level is heated with electric baseboard and a fan forced air electric wall heater, 6000 watts total. The space is only heated in the winter to maintain a 50F temperature, but the guest bedroom area is heated to a comfortable level only when occupied.

Total annual electric heating bill would be around $300, but this is fully covered by our solar PV, which also fully covers all of our other electricity needs for our all electric house. In other words, since I c/s/s wood from our land for the wood stove, we have $0 utility bills. Water from our well and a septic system for the waste. Of course we pay for phone and internet service.

We feel very comfortable having near minimal guest bedroom space along with a large entertaining space. Although a couple times each year the whole family is here (13 additional people) and bedroom space gets crowded, during the great bulk of the year all guest bedroom spaces are empty. We never felt the need to provide multiple separate bedroom spaces for everyone. Adult children and grandchildren pile up and make do, with some opting for a living room sofa if they wish. Our large living room, dining and kitchen area is very comfortable for guest entertaining, and easily handles groups much larger than our family group.

A mini-split remains for the future, particularly because we have solar PV and we would not incur any cost in operating it, as we have excess kWh available, at least until a future electric car enters the picture. A mini-split neat source probably would reduce our need for stove wood to 2-3 cords per heating season vs the 4 cords now required. Both my wife and I really like the wood stove radiant in the living room which we have enjoyed for 27 years, along with the cool bedroom for sleeping.

As for down-sizing, we never up-sized. In fact one of our adult children bought a very modest house close to work and schools for their children, and they intend that to be their house for many years. Another of our adult children just sold their up-sized house and bought a modest home close to schools and closer to their work. In our thinking having a house which never needs to be down-sized is a very wise choice.

sloeffle, STIHLY DAN and WoodyIsGoody like this.
  2. WoodyIsGoody

WoodyIsGoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Pacific NW Washington
    I agree, and I never understood the "American castle" phenomenon. I can only figure some people think the measure of a persons worth as a human is somehow related to the size of their home.

A couple of observations:

People who grew up in large families in small homes often overcompensate by acquiring a home that is far larger than necessary while those who came from small families living in huge homes are now adopting "tiny houses" en masse.

Go figure.

3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I consider it keeping up with the Jones'. It's the 50" TV for those who are middle-middle class and up.

I really like the Dave Ramsey saying, "Where the paid off mortgage takes the place of the leased BMW.". Or something like that.

Being able to redirect that payment elsewhere really can change a balance sheet.

4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Ha! that's a "starter" TV these days. I think they're up to 80" now and curved at regular stores like Costco.

5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I look at the 32" that my kid watches youtube on and think she's spoiled, lol. A room must be huge to make use of a TV like that!

6. saewoody

saewoody
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    The biggest tv I ever bought was 32" and that was 14 years ago when I bought my house. It's one of those flat glass screen tube style tvs that weigh a ton. I've got a 32" LCD in the bedroom my that my father bought us about 7-8 years ago for Christmas. I did recently acquire a 40" LCD after my wife's 93 year old grandmother passed away. That got put in the living room. I'd love a bigger tv, but it's never been the priority. And I guess I'm just cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. georgepds

georgepds
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2012
    I watch all my tv on a 7 inch kindle

8. WoodyIsGoody

WoodyIsGoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Pacific NW Washington
    I can one-up that, I watch all my TV on my smartwatch! <>

9. Circus

Circus
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2013
    Loc:
    EC Wisconsin
    With televisions falling in price, my last 60" hdtv cost less than $300 using 1/5 the electricity, I see small homes that look larger on the inside.

Total Recall

med_1424884993_00020.jpg

10. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Plus as our eyes get older, the large screens are much easier. Even my desktop computer screens are 30" !

11. RobbieB

RobbieB
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Central CA
    I like the cozyness of a small dwelling. Now in 1400 sq-ft. Before was 1200 and my first place was a 900 sq-ft townhouse with 450 sq-ft on each level

12. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    "Nature abhors a vacuum" For most folks the more room to put it in the more stuff. At some point they run out of room and rent a storage unit.

The area I live in is not thriving but I swear there are more storage lockers than residents.

13. WoodyIsGoody

WoodyIsGoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Pacific NW Washington
    Well, yeah, because, stuff. You need a place to put your stuff. It might not be the best stuff in the world, but it's YOUR stuff!

14. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    In August we had two weekends of a "stuff" sale, followed by a day of free stuff to anyone who wanted something. Lots, really lots, of "stuff" was recycled to other stuff collectors. Quite a quantity of small pieces of lumber remained, kept because still useful for something, and those now have been turned into stovewood for the wood gasification boiler in my shop.

15. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    My problem is scrap steel. I just know that I will have a use for it. Unlike with lumber I can attach pieces together if I need a longer chunk. I can't throw anything metal away as a result. Ugh.

16. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  17. georgepds

georgepds
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2012
    Cleaned out a condo used for work a year or two ago. Decided to toss all the books and stuff I hadn't touched for years.. used the services of trash can willy(I'm not making that up)

Turned out trash can willy employed frustrated scholars. It was agony watching them paw through books I loved... while I tried to let them go

Books I still miss.. a side by side English/Italian copy of the inferno,the Ashley book of knots, and my old collection of trashy face d'ange detective series that I learned bad french from ( e.g. "tais toi ou je cache ta geulle... "roughly shut up or I'll smash your face)