Draft Inducer Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GENECOP

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2014
Ny
When I first installed my Greenwood furnace I installed a traditional inline draft inducer, these types of inducers have a small section of fan blades that encroach into the 6” stove pipe. This was always a nuisance when cleaning the chimney, the fan blades would obstruct the sweep head..
As it turned out I really only benefited from the inducer during a cold start, since I have storage, my furnace runs wide open , that combined with my chimney size and configuration keeps my flue at a pretty consistent 200 Deg with a perfect draft.
After I shut down this season I had an idea to install a draft inducer that would eliminate the sweeping issue..
I want to install a Y, and attach a small blower to the Y that I can turn on only during a cold start, this Y would position the Blower well outside of the flue pipe and won’t interfere with sweeping. Interestingly Y connections don’t seem that available, I guess they are trying to prevent people from putting two appliances into one stove pipe..Any feedback would be welcomed..TY

F1D28F20-0E1E-46CA-B1D2-98523D154105.jpeg2E7DE010-AD11-42C8-B414-C27B37EC6334.jpeg

If I had room I would add some kind of Y with a heat gun or something to induce draft on a cold start. I don't see why it would not work.

Heat gun, good idea, do you think it would be more effective than the fan?

When I first installed my Greenwood furnace I installed a traditional inline draft inducer, these types of inducers have a small section of fan blades that encroach into the 6” stove pipe. This was always a nuisance when cleaning the chimney, the fan blades would obstruct the sweep head..
As it turned out I really only benefited from the inducer during a cold start, since I have storage, my furnace runs wide open , that combined with my chimney size and configuration keeps my flue at a pretty consistent 200 Deg with a perfect draft.
After I shut down this season I had an idea to install a draft inducer that would eliminate the sweeping issue..
I want to install a Y, and attach a small blower to the Y that I can turn on only during a cold start, this Y would position the Blower well outside of the flue pipe and won’t interfere with sweeping. Interestingly Y connections don’t seem that available, I guess they are trying to prevent people from putting two appliances into one stove pipe..Any feedback would be welcomed..TY

View attachment 275383View attachment 275384
How would pumping air into the pipe after the furnace increase draft?

How would pumping air into the pipe after the furnace increase draft?

Draft inducers are designed to offset air pressure from wind, cold air, and inadequate chimney height by providing negative air pressure that forces chimney air from a fireplaceup through the chimney and into outside air.

FC860EB7-19FF-4817-A7A8-91B9F633D853.jpeg
the line indicates the negative pressure plain, (NPP) if somewhere in that area I can pump air in the desirable direction , maybe the cold start will improve..If I faced the Y direction fitting down toward the appliance, and pumped air toward the appliance , I could see how it might negatively affect the draft..

Last edited:
What about a product called a "draw collar"? I get ads for them and I will probably get one for my cookstove in the future. They seem to run about $500 and only turn on when the draft/temp drops too low. Personally I don't have an issue with back drafting unless lighting on a cold stove so I would only plug the device in when starting a fire and then unplugging it until the next cold start.

Draft inducers are designed to offset air pressure from wind, cold air, and inadequate chimney height by providing negative air pressure that forces chimney air from a fireplaceup through the chimney and into outside air.

View attachment 275402
the line indicates the negative pressure plain, (NPP) if somewhere in that area I can pump air in the desirable direction , maybe the cold start will improve..If I faced the Y direction fitting down toward the appliance, and pumped air toward the appliance , I could see how it might negatively affect the draft..
I know exactly what draft enducers are for but using a y with a blower blowing room air into the chimney may create a bit of a venturi effect but it is also going to fill the set volume of the chimney with room air. As well as pulling out room air further reducing the pressure in the area around the furnace.

It may work if it was used before starting a fire to establish a bit of a draft then turned off when you go to start it. But honestly address the draft issue instead of relying on bandaid fixes

I know exactly what draft enducers are for but using a y with a blower blowing room air into the chimney may create a bit of a venturi effect but it is also going to fill the set volume of the chimney with room air. As well as pulling out room air further reducing the pressure in the area around the furnace.

It may work if it was used before starting a fire to establish a bit of a draft then turned off when you go to start it. But honestly address the draft issue instead of relying on bandaid fixes

Thanks, my boiler has fresh air to draw from, as far as the draft it’s perfect accept the first 15-20 minutes of a cold start, I generally leave the door cracked the first 10 minutes or so. I was just looking for a way to make the cold start a little cleaner..I post a photo of my chimney, it’s pretty straight forward, not many options for improvement. Worst case scenario I put the Y in, I already have the fan, if it improves, great. If not, that’s OK..How about heating the flue up a bit instead of the fan, do you think that is a better option?image.jpgimage.jpg

Try this instead:

Reactions: GENECOP
Try this instead:

I read about that, it probably works well, but the $400 caused me to hesitate...

With my exterior class A chimney I get significant back draft on a true cold start. The best way Ive found is to blow a heat gun into the center tube of the heat exchanger for 1 minute. Then I light the fire keeping the heat gun running until flue temps begin to rise a little. I then close the heat exchanger door. I don't see why it wouldn't work to install the heat gun farther downstream. I have no experience with inducer fans. A heat source would certainly work better.

Reactions: bholler and GENECOP