Draft Inducer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drhiii

Oct 15, 2006
I purchased a Tjernlund draft inducer (I need given the current configuration).

Question is, has anyone else installed such a unit into a 6" stove pipe. Main question is... does it come with a gasket, or if not, how does one manufacture a gasket for this installation?

Ideas anyone? Much appreciated.

drh

I don't mind cleaning it. Will be easy access.

What I am hoping for is someone who has installed one and can shed light on how to seal it.

tx

drhiii said:
I purchased a Tjernlund draft inducer (I need given the current configuration).

Question is, has anyone else installed such a unit into a 6" stove pipe. Main question is... does it come with a gasket, or if not, how does one manufacture a gasket for this installation?

Ideas anyone? Much appreciated.

drh

drhiii, I installed the same unit last year on my stove. I promised to post my results after one season but haven't had a chance. As a matter of fact I just pulled the unit off two weeks ago and cleaned it. It wasn't that bad! I took before and after pics which I will post later.

They do not ship with a gasket. You need to purchase high temp silicone. Lay a bead down around the edge of the hole in the pipe and then install the unit and then lay a second bead around the outside of unit to totally seal it. I have not had any issues with soot buildup on the blades causing it to run off center and be noisy. I don’t run the unit all the time, just at startup and when it’s really windy. I have been very happy with this unit.

Instructions for install:
http://www.draftinducers.com/draftinducerinstall.htm

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.