Draft issues Jotul f400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Comicslinger

Dec 22, 2019
Pahrump, Nevada
Hey all!
I bought a brand new Jotul F400, this is our first season using it. Been great for a couple of months. But, recently we started getting smoke blowback into the house. Now, we are getting no airflow at all. No fires will stay lit.
Is there something I need to clean or check?
Seems too soon to clean chimney. But, we have a clog on the airflow somewhere.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The chimney is the first thing to check, especially the cap if there is a screen in it. A cap screen can plug up in weeks if the wood is not fully seasoned or the stove is being run too low.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Def. look at the cap / screen. - and ideally get a cap without screen. If that is OK, What is your set-up like? Basement stove? Stove on lower levels of 2-story house, flue on an exterior or interior wall, flue pipe straight up to the roof or has elbows, tee's, etc?

Stove draft generally gets better as the season goes on...cooler weather outside means stronger draft. But cooler weather can also increase the 'stack effect' of a multi story house and cool an exterior flue - both of which will reduce draft in a stove.

Dealing with the same issue just different stove. I’m running a Osburn 1800 insert. Had the chimney cleaned about 2 months ago. Probably have had 10 fires in it this yr. last 2 fires seem like no draft. I have never had to warm up my flue up on a cold start. Plan on going up on the roof tomorrow after work to take a look. It has a 6” Liner in it. The home is a bi-level with the insert in the bottom level.

I am having a Jotul F400 installed next week through my masonry chimney. It is a 21' chimney and because it has a bend in it I am having single-walled stainless steel flexible pipe put in. I believe I should spend the extra money to have it wrapped in insulation and mesh but the installer tells me that I don't need it and would be just wasting my money. Any thoughts?

I am having a Jotul F400 installed next week through my masonry chimney. It is a 21' chimney and because it has a bend in it I am having single-walled stainless steel flexible pipe put in. I believe I should spend the extra money to have it wrapped in insulation and mesh but the installer tells me that I don't need it and would be just wasting my money. Any thoughts?
Interior or exterior chimney? Interior needs 2” clearance from masonry to combustibles. Exterior 1”. Do you meet these code clearances?

I’ve heard the F400 was a little draft sensitive so I’d wrap it for better draft on those warmer days. It’s also a safer install.