Draft Modification; What a Difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Terry:

Thanks for the update: sounds like you are getting close to testing it out. Now you need some cold Alaska style air to move in. I'm trying to find one of the threads where I posted my proud install, I sometimes have trouble searching for something I know should be there.

That explosion thing of yours is unreal. For that lid to hop even a little, it had to be one major blast.

Keep us posted!

fire_man said:
Terry:

Thanks for the update: sounds like you are getting close to testing it out. Now you need some cold Alaska style air to move in. I'm trying to find one of the threads where I posted my proud install, I sometimes have trouble searching for something I know should be there.

That explosion thing of yours is unreal. For that lid to hop even a little, it had to be one major blast.

Keep us posted!

Tony--"Unreal" is a great term. I don't know how I do it. The explosion was not something I can describe. I weighed that top stone and it weighs just shy of 40 lbs. When it blew, I was looking at it. The lid opened a tad over an inch and I got the concussive blast wave from 14 feet, which is how far away I was. No particulates, just air blast. It was quite an experience. It returned to its rightful place without help from me. I checked it and there was no damage there or to the stove . . . just my nervous system. I'm guessing that since this wood is so dry, there is little moisture in it to mitigate the gas concentration and when it blows it's extra powerful. That's the only thing I can think of. Whatever it is/was, I'm doing my best to avoid a repeat performance.

It appears that the blue flame hovering 4-5 inches above the wood is not sustainable. Sure would like if someone would school me on what I'm shootin' for. I can get the lazy, filmy kind of mostly yellow flames, but they live ON the wood not in the space above it. I've been trying to get the flame to persist two or three inches off the wood and be blue in color with yellow accents, but so far I haven't been able to make that condition last very long.

I could use some frigid air to test this thing. Our temps are not going to get much into the 20s for lows for this next week or so. The darned jet stream is stayin' away from us and trapping all the cold air up north. Some of y'all up there need to go poke a hole in it and let some of that cold air leak down here. :)

Think we are a bit a way from the Original Post.

Anything more to add to this thread about the draft mod?

pen

No questions in the first place. Just information. This one is off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.