draft problems Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chefdeb

Feb 1, 2023
Milltown, IN
We have had this Jotul Oslo for 2 winters and are constantly having draft issues. We have dry wood (tested for moisture). Outside is very much colder than inside. I have tried all the advice given to no avail. Sometimes it works fine for weeks and then all the sudden we lose the draft. We have an old house so negative pressure is not the problem. Could the problem be that the Oslo has 6" stovepipe venting out the top with an almost 90 degree elbow then it increases to an 8" pipe through the wall and 8" outside steel chimney? The 8" worked great with our old Vermont Casting. I don't know if my stove is defective.

Also smoke comes out of the back of the bottom, the air intake on the front and the upper left hand corner. Are there supposed to be holes on the back and the top corner? Isn't it supposed to be sealed?

Was the chimney cap screen checked for plugging? When was the chimney last cleaned?

Was the chimney cap screen checked for plugging? When was the chimney last cleaned?
Yes the chimney and the inside stovepipe is clear. We also have a heater inside inline with the stovepipe. Now the stove won't even let enough air in to keep fire starter sticks burning. The box fills with smoke and comes out all over the place. The weird thing is that it works fine for weeks at a time. Then all of the sudden, no draft.

Yes the chimney and the inside stovepipe is clear. We also have a heater inside inline with the stovepipe. Now the stove won't even let enough air in to keep fire starter sticks burning. The box fills with smoke and comes out all over the place. The weird thing is that it works fine for weeks at a time. Then all of the sudden, no draft.
How tall is the chimney

12 ft. We used this chimney for years with no problem with a Vermont Castings stove with an 8" pipe inside to an 8" manufactured chimney outside. Could the problem be that the Jotul has 6" pipe inside to an 8" chimney?
Short oversized chimney elbowing through the wall means you simply aren't going to have enough draft

But why has this stove worked all winter and all of the sudden stopped?
I don't know that. I was just going by your statement that you are constantly having draft issues. My guess is even when it's working it really isn't working as well as it should