Drill through door for glass clamps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kramttocs

Jan 3, 2015
Springfield, MO
The glass on my Country Flame 100 insert cracked as things do around small children.
A few of the bolts that hold on the clamps snapped off during removal. Drilling them out and rethreading isn't really an option since the lip they are in is barely wide enough to handle the bolt currently. On a lot of them the side of the threads can be seen.

Options are to rely on the few that did come out successfully or to drill all the way through the door and put some longer bolts in. Aesthetics aside, any concerns with drilling all of the way through?

well have you tried something like this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-No-1-Spiral-Screw-Extractor-A96SE61/205469313

the idea is you drill only the center of the stuck bolt. then you put in this reverse threaded extractor. turning it in reverse (counterclockwise) screws the tool in tighter yet should undo the stuck bolt in the process.

I used this when i broke a bolt off in my caliper. heres what i did.
drill hole in bolt stuck in caliper. hit it with generous amounts of pb blaster (penetrating oil). thread the tool into the hole i made. i heated up the caliper even tho it didnt say to do that. spun tool in reverse. saved my bacon big time.

i hope this helps. depot has a kit with many different sizes. i dont think i paid 20 for the kit.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I've used those before with mixed success. The tough part is getting a hole drilled in the center of such a small bolt. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks
You are correct. The alternative is still drilling a hole in the center and then picking threads out.

Use a centerpunch and take your time to get it good and centered before you make your mark. If you need to do a little detail grinding with a dremel to do that, take the time.

The glass on my Country Flame 100 insert cracked as things do around small children.
A few of the bolts that hold on the clamps snapped off during removal. Drilling them out and rethreading isn't really an option since the lip they are in is barely wide enough to handle the bolt currently. On a lot of them the side of the threads can be seen.

Options are to rely on the few that did come out successfully or to drill all the way through the door and put some longer bolts in. Aesthetics aside, any concerns with drilling all of the way through?
I have another idea: Abandon the existing holes and just grind the broken bolts flush. Pick new spots close by, drill new holes, tap, and insert new bolts. Way easier than trying to drill and extract the old ones, same result.

I have another idea: Abandon the existing holes and just grind the broken bolts flush. Pick new spots close by, drill new holes, tap, and insert new bolts. Way easier than trying to drill and extract the old ones, same result.
This should work quite well.
Alternatively, good luck with drilling out snapped hardware sometimes it actually works.