Drolet 1400i Budget Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo1028

Feb 5, 2019
Central OH
I'd like to share some information for my recent Drolet 1400i install. I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time now, and have learned a lot so hopefully I can give back and this information will be helpful to some people.

My goal for this installation was to revive my existing masonry fireplace which had some cracked flue tiles and a few cracked mortar joints in the firebox. Rather than pay the over $5000 quote I got to run a 13" stainless liner and keep the open fireplace, I decided to find and install a fireplace insert myself to save money and help make our home more efficient. Being an engineer, once I learned how inefficient the standard open masonry fireplaces are, I could not let myself leave that setup in place...

With deciding to use an insert, I set project goals of optimizing efficiency and minimizing my cost, while making sure I did not compromise on safety. I started looking around on this forum and on classifieds listings to find an appropriate insert (that is, after I had gotten some wood CSS...). I found a listing for a Drolet insert, and after going back and forth with the seller a bit it turned out to be a 1400. I was hoping for an 1800, but I couldn't pass up the $200 price tag he placed on it... I picked up the insert and it sat in my garage for about a year while I was busy with other projects.

I finally got around to disassembling and checking the insert and after order some parts from Drolet, I was able to paint it, reassemble it, and do a few burns outside to season the paint.

1230201030_resized.jpg 1230201038_resized.jpg SBI order.JPG

Once I got the insert cleaned up and ready to go, I started on the liner install. Like most of us, I ended up removing part of the damper frame and a few bricks from the throat to fit the 6" diameter liner with insulation. I don't have a lot of pics of the installation, as my friend and I got rolling on it and I forgot to grab pictures, but here are a few.

First, from the upper cleanout door you can see down to the smokeshelf and where there was a pile of old mortar above the damper frame and smokeshelf bricks I removed. I knocked some of that mortar pile out with my air hammer.

Next you can see where I removed some bricks and installed my blockoff plate and a bit of Roxul. I still need to fill in more Roxul after I more securely attach my blockoff plate.

And finally, the insert sitting in it's new home. I still need to paint around where previously had the old fireplace doors. Then, I plan to remove the fireplace door glass on the old setup and reinstall that frame to help hide the insulation. I'm also planning to cut up a piece of 8" stovepipe to cover the collar and liner right where they exit the insert.

Also, the premium top cap I "splurged" on.

So far, I've had a number of fires in the insert this week and have been pretty happy with how it performs. With 25' of insulated chimney I have great draft, and the insert really throws a lot of heat in the room it's in.

I'll post some more updates tomorrow including my total cost on the project, as well as my house layout, wood supply (everyones favorite topic!) and some questions I have, since I'm new to woodburning! Have a happy and warm new year everyone!

Attachments

• 0101211510a_resized.jpg
    0101211510a_resized.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 0102211645a_resized.jpg
    0102211645a_resized.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 0102211635a.jpg
    0102211635a.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 0102211619a.jpg
    0102211619a.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Rockford Chimney order.JPG
    Rockford Chimney order.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 202
Looks good. For a newcomer to wood burning you've done well. Extra points for having a dry wood supply.

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
Inspiration for DIYers.
Please tell us the insert is sitting on something other than the apparent 2X4's! Firebricks by chance? Pic was prior to final placement?
Had to ask......

Inspiration for DIYers.
Please tell us the insert is sitting on something other than the apparent 2X4's! Firebricks by chance? Pic was prior to final placement?
Had to ask......

Thanks! And yes! Those are bricks. I needed to space the insert up off the bottom of the fireplace a bit so that when I put the original fireplace surround back on it will clear the blower sticking out at the bottom.

Nice!!! Lets see a picture with the surround back on.

So, I still need to clean up and rattle can the surround, but hopefully will get that back on early next week or something. I did paint the tile right around the insert though and also took a piece of 6" stove pipe with the seam open and wrapped that around the liner coming out of the insert - looks much better already!

Also, I wanted to check in about stovetop thermometer placement. I have mine up top and run it either just to the side of the stack going through the convective jacket or centered up. It seems like this is the most accurate place to run it, any opinions otherwise? Also, the insert generally runs around 500-550 stove top temp so far. I've burned oak, ash, and pine. The ash seems like it could dry out a bit more... Pine and oak burning nicely though. I see people on here talking about running up to 700 or 800 stove top temps. My question is, are the markings for the "burn zone" and "overfire" on my thermometer indicated well for the insert and where I have the thermo placed?

Finally, I said in an earlier post I would share final budget stuff. Between the liner and components, parts for the insert, and some miscellaneous items from Lowes, I am just under $1500 on this project! Hopefully this is an encouragement to the DIY folks on here looking for cheap heat. If you shop around for a deal on a stove or insert, it can be done!

Attachments

• 0108210956a.jpg
    0108210956a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 0108211045a.jpg
    0108211045a.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 0108211045b.jpg
    0108211045b.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 157
So, I still need to clean up and rattle can the surround, but hopefully will get that back on early next week or something. I did paint the tile right around the insert though and also took a piece of 6" stove pipe with the seam open and wrapped that around the liner coming out of the insert - looks much better already!

Also, I wanted to check in about stovetop thermometer placement. I have mine up top and run it either just to the side of the stack going through the convective jacket or centered up. It seems like this is the most accurate place to run it, any opinions otherwise? Also, the insert generally runs around 500-550 stove top temp so far. I've burned oak, ash, and pine. The ash seems like it could dry out a bit more... Pine and oak burning nicely though. I see people on here talking about running up to 700 or 800 stove top temps. My question is, are the markings for the "burn zone" and "overfire" on my thermometer indicated well for the insert and where I have the thermo placed?

Finally, I said in an earlier post I would share final budget stuff. Between the liner and components, parts for the insert, and some miscellaneous items from Lowes, I am just under $1500 on this project! Hopefully this is an encouragement to the DIY folks on here looking for cheap heat. If you shop around for a deal on a stove or insert, it can be done!

Are you reading STT with the blower on? If you are you might try turning it off for 15 minutes to see if its reducing the gauge reading significantly. Have you tried the temp gauge mounted above the door? Likely have to after the surround is installed I would guess.

Curious as to where you are installing the surround? Looks like the stove will be a fair ways inside the normal surround mounting surface?

Sounds like your getting a handle on the operation. Has the heat met your expectations? Keep us updated.

Edit: You do have the blower installed now correct?

Last edited:
Are you reading STT with the blower on? If you are you might try turning it off for 15 minutes to see if its reducing the gauge reading significantly. Have you tried the temp gauge mounted above the door? Likely have to after the surround is installed I would guess.

Curious as to where you are installing the surround? Looks like the stove will be a fair ways inside the normal surround mounting surface?

Sounds like your getting a handle on the operation. Has the heat met your expectations? Keep us updated.

Edit: You do have the blower installed now correct?

I am reading STT with the blower on, that's a good suggestion. I think after the surround is back on I will be able to keep the thermo in the same place. I'm not using the Drolet surround, but rather the standard open fireplace surround with doors removed (see picture below from before I installed the insert).

Heat output has been pretty good. I can get the room up to 75 pretty easily (from 68) and sit there for a few hours. I have been running the blower on low speed and a ceiling fan reversed also on low. Wife does not enjoy either of the fans however... so I'm not sure exactly how much use I'll get from this heat wise. I'm going to try an "ambiance" fire tonight, probably two long splits E/W with two N/S on top and some kindling and other small stuff without the blower running. Boring, I know.

1610123738716.png

I have the 1400i too...I run the STT gauge just to the right of where you have yours...right in the center...it like to run 6-700* typically.
Running the blower makes little difference to STT...I've had it too 800, maybe a bit more before, no problem.
I left the surround off mine due to the arched stone/etc...also made a platform for it with legs...wanted it to look more like a typical free standing stove.
1610125388101.png

Last edited:
75* room, ambiance fire, Fri. night..... Time with the wife;)

Believe you have things well planned........... Enjoy

Reactions: shortys7777
I have the 1400i too...I run the STT gauge just to the right of where you have yours...right in the center...it like to run 6-700* typically.
Running the blower makes little difference to STT...I've had it too 800, maybe a bit more before, no problem.
I left the surround off mine due to the arched stone/etc...also made a platform for it with legs...wanted it to look more like a typical free standing stove.
View attachment 271541

Very appealing install sir!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Very appealing install sir!
Thank you...it was a bit of a challenge, that is the absolute largest stove that will fit in that fireplace...took some customizing to do it...fits like custom made gloves!

You get used to the fan sound. My insert i use my infrared thermometer and measure right above the door. I usually try to keep it at 450 when sleeping. Just make me feel better. I also read some people do cruise 550-600. Mine heats my 1450 sq ft house fine. Maybe I'll try to get it up near 550 when the temps are single digits. Hasn't been a terrible winter so far here.

Its true about the fan, you get used to it. It makes the unit work so much better I always feel like I'm wasting fuel when it's not on (sometimes I turn it off when its getting too warm in the house). I don't even hear it anymore when its on low. High is a different story, its pretty intrusive, but I almost never have it on high unless I'm trying to lower the temp on a huge fire.

I cruise around 600-650 usually in my Osburn 1600 insery. It's a relatively small firebox, 1.85 cu ft, but it likes the high temps. It heats my 1600 sq ft two story no problem. I don't really get nervous temp wise until I start seeing 750 ish on my IR gun at the stack/stt joint. It typically only happens on a big overnight load where I get distracted and don't turn the air down fast enough. Pretty rare but when it does happen turning the blower on high and fully shutting the air itll recover back to 650 pretty fast. I find stoves to be very consistent once you get the hang of them and use good wood.

Really great DIY install! I thought about it myself but even the professionals had a bear of a time getting the liner down my chimney. Its a 24' run and there was some janky terracotta like 6' above the stove. They finally got it in but we were pretty close to having to remove some bricks and fix it from the outside. I think if we ever move I'd give the next one a crack. I can't live without my wood heat!

Once I got the insert cleaned up and ready to go, I started on the liner install. Like most of us, I ended up removing part of the damper frame and a few bricks from the throat to fit the 6" diameter liner with insulation. I don't have a lot of pics of the installation, as my friend and I got rolling on it and I forgot to grab pictures, but here are a few.

First, from the upper cleanout door you can see down to the smokeshelf and where there was a pile of old mortar above the damper frame and smokeshelf bricks I removed. I knocked some of that mortar pile out with my air hammer.

Next you can see where I removed some bricks and installed my blockoff plate and a bit of Roxul. I still need to fill in more Roxul after I more securely attach my blockoff plate.

And finally, the insert sitting in it's new home. I still need to paint around where previously had the old fireplace doors. Then, I plan to remove the fireplace door glass on the old setup and reinstall that frame to help hide the insulation. I'm also planning to cut up a piece of 8" stovepipe to cover the collar and liner right where they exit the insert.

Also, the premium top cap I "splurged" on.

So far, I've had a number of fires in the insert this week and have been pretty happy with how it performs. With 25' of insulated chimney I have great draft, and the insert really throws a lot of heat in the room it's in.

I'll post some more updates tomorrow including my total cost on the project, as well as my house layout, wood supply (everyones favorite topic!) and some questions I have, since I'm new to woodburning! Have a happy and warm new year everyone!
Very nice! Cant beat $200 price for the insert.