Drolet DB03125

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bootstrap

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2013
Northern CT
Hello all.
Wife and I have been running a Englander 28-3500 whole house wood furnace for 2 seasons now. That's been good, and wood consumption isn't all that bad. But we are selling that house and the house we are moving into is a cape style house with baseboard heating by an oil furnace. I do not feel like running ducting for the wood furnace, and I would have to install another chimney which I also don't want to do.
Plus, I have noticed through the past couple winters, that the forced hot air really screws with my sinuses so getting away from that is a bonus. I have installed a filter kit on it and that's helped, but radiant heat is what we want now.
The new house has a masonry fireplace in good condition. We want to put a wood stove insert in. This time around, I want EPA certified. I don't mind splitting wood as I use a splitter. But that doesn't mean I want to split 5 cords if I only need 2.5 cords.

The wood stove insert I am most interested in right now is a Drolet DB03125 from Lowe's. I can acquire this stove from online sources such as ruralking but since I can get free shipping to Lowe's, and I would have to pay shipping from rural king, the price comes a little close.
Tie breaker for me is if there is anything wrong with it, I can return it to Lowe's where the online vendors are a bit more complicated. Here it is on Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drolet-2-100-sq-ft-Wood-Stove-Insert/50298201

The price works for me and the online reviews seem good. I appreciate all input.

Its a nice stove, the key points I would research is how the baffle comes out (whether it slides or is held by screws) this is good to know for cleaning purposes. Also is the blower a variable speed or is it fixed switched.
As far as install, make sure the existing chimney has been cleaned and inspected, then install an insulated liner, go beyond the install instructions and install a block off plate in the smoke chamber of the fire place.
About your sinuses... Air sealing your new house is key, spray foam all gaps in the attic, so all your top plates, registers, any high hats, ext, take the trim off from around your windows and spray low expansion foam in those gaps. Once you stop / slow the air movement from outside to inside the home you will be able to keep humidity in the house at what ever temp you choose, believe it or not, most *dry homes in the winter come from poor insulation / air sealing rather than the furnace or woodstove.

SBI builds decent stoves. The Escape 1800 insert is similar to the Osburn 2000 insert but in plainer dress and with a vermiculite baffle.

What does RuralKing want for shipping? The Lowes price does not include the surround and other options you might need. Check Menards too if there is one in your area. I have also done well ordering from www.woodstovepro.com and they ship free on orders over about $80.

Menards is a "local" chain located in the North Central plains States..... Ohio to the Dakotas.

I have even the step down of this stove (Century line), mostly because the Drolet was on back order at the time and you had to order the surround separately. It'll heat well but won't be as radiant as a normal wood stove. You'll want to use the fan to get the heat into the house more. Expect 6-8 hour burn cycles depending on split size.

SBI's owner's manual is top notch and will give you the best practices of installation, including the block off plate.

Just make sure you measure the fireplace opening and hearth, this is a big insert.

Last edited: