Drolet Eco 65 fuel consuption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Case1030

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2017
Manitoba
I have recently purchased a new Drolet 65 pellet stove, with a claimed 80% optimal efficiency (same as my old unit). After looking through hearth website I have not been able to find much solution to my problem.

I have three pellet stoves installed currently. James Town, Harmon, and kozi burn. All very good stoves but I needed a stove capable of hooking up to my ducting.

I'll get to the problem. My new Drolet seems to be burning 50% more pellets to do the same heating. The combustion fan looks as if it's overblowing air into the pot. Any solutions to this issue? I will also try contacting the manufacture to see if there is anything setting I don't know about.

Bump

I recommend pictures of the installation,and of the flame/burning,for those that know this unit.But,if you hooked it into your whole house duct work,will be a lot more heat loss.

have recently purchased a new Drolet 65 pellet stove, with a claimed 80% optimal efficiency (same as my old unit). After looking through hearth website I have not been able to find much solution to my problem.

I have three pellet stoves installed currently. James Town, Harmon, and kozi burn. All very good stoves but I needed a stove capable of hooking up to my ducting.

Is the drolet replacing the other 3 stoves? It has a monster convection blower @465cfm. And only puts out 65,000btu

Is the drolet replacing the other 3 stoves? It has a monster convection blower @465cfm. And only puts out 65,000btu

Sorry I was not clear. I have two pellet stoves in the house, and one in the garage (Harman Furnace). Both of the stoves are located in the basement.

I recently replaced my kozi burn pellet stove with the Drolet. The Kozi burn was capable of heating my 1800 square-foot house even down to minus 35+. The other stove located in the basement is just for backup.

I do not yet have the Drolet hooked up to the furnace ducting. It is in the same location as my old Kozi and 4" ducting into masonry chimney all proffessionaly installed.

I did get word from the manufacture about possible faulty circut board. Any thoughts?

Instead of all these stoves why not invest in a pellet furnace ?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Instead of all these stoves why not invest in a pellet furnace ?

In the garage I have a PF120 Harman pellet furnace installed. The Drolet 65 replaced my old Kozi burn in my house. To answer your question... the Drolet 65 is labelled as a pellet furnace, but definitely not on the same level as the Pf120 (rated at 120,000 btu).

Only reason I have 2 stoves in the house is for the sunroom, mainly ascetic purpose and zone heating. I started this thread to find out if others are experiencing high pellet usage, and if there are any solutions to the problem?

If you have an answer to this, I'd be curious to know. My eco-65 is an absolute pig.

Its hard to understand why Drolet uses "Eco"-65 as the model number. I am starting to get the feeling it is a design flaw. Possibly combination of poor heat exchanger design, along with to much combustion air increasing heat loss out exhaust.

Hoping someone will chim in with possible modification without hurting the integrity of the stove.

I looked through a couple threads and heard of a guy swaping out the circuit board with the Osburn model (same stove apparently with minor improvement). The upgraded circuit board allows more setting adjustments depending on pellet quality.

What about putting a damper in your exhaust to restrict the flow and hold some of the heat back? Same concept as a wood stove? Or add some (natural) restrictions in the piping to slow the exhaust air. Like maby adding a few 90 elbows. If the end of your exhaust is accessible outside you could do some testing with that foil tape and block a inch at a time and see it you see a improvement.

Reactions: Ssyko
What about putting a damper in your exhaust to restrict the flow and hold some of the heat back? Same concept as a wood stove? Or add some (natural) restrictions in the piping to slow the exhaust air. Like maby adding a few 90 elbows. If the end of your exhaust is accessible outside you could do some testing with that foil tape and block a inch at a time and see it you see a improvement.

I could try that... personally never heard of anyone putting a damper in pellet stove exhaust pipe. But for for an experiment while being close to the stove can't see anything wrong with that.

Funny enough I seen a factory pellet stove pipe with a factory damper on it the other day...