Drolet Eco 65 Igniter problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crna

Feb 21, 2015
North Central Ohio
Hi there. Any help would be appreciated. Bought a new Drolet Eco 65 last year. This is my first heating season using it. The second time the unit started up, the original igniter quit working. Called SBI, and they sent out a revision kit for a new igniter system-apparently their original igniter system was having problems. OK, not a big deal. That replacement igniter got me through until Christmas when it blew a fuse and wouldn't light. Called 12/36/14 and SBI sent me out another replacement igniter. They said they couldn't understand why I went through another one, but thought maybe I just "got a bad one". When I took it out, it had a hole burned completely through the outer metal wall. Well, today after doing my weekly ash emptying and vacuuming, it would not relight, and the igniter fuse blew. Is anyone else having ongoing igniter issues with their Eco 65? If so what have they done for you, and how have you corrected the problem? This is getting ridiculous for a stove this expensive.

BTW, I only light the stove once per week when I shut it down to clean the ash pan and vacuum the firebox, so the igniter is not being used excessively.

Not sure, but I would check your voltage into the stove. I;m on the 2nd year on the old style igniter, no issue, and it lights 10 times a day at least.

Not sure, but I would check your voltage into the stove. I;m on the 2nd year on the old style igniter, no issue, and it lights 10 times a day at least.

I have never monitored it, but I have tons of other electronic stuff in my house (seven computers, alarm system, video surveillance system among other things) and none of them have had any issues-and they are on all of the time. I do have a sure suppressor on the stove. Again, it only lights once per week, and runs the rest of the time. I used to have it on a thermostat, but thought that the cycling might have been the cause of the shortened igniter life.

20150222_173741.jpg It is the new style igniter, hole is approx. 1 cm diameter and 2 cm from from tip.

I can't control how long it stays on, that is all done by the stove control board. It stays lit until the stove temperature reaches, I believe it is 130 degrees fahrenheit. At that temperature the igniter shuts off, and the convection blower starts.

I can't control how long it stays on, that is all done by the stove control board. It stays lit until the stove temperature reaches, I believe it is 130 degrees fahrenheit. At that temperature the igniter shuts off, and the convection blower starts.
Got a new ignitor and control board in February of last year. Worked through the beginning of this season. Same thing as before (this was supposed to be the new and improved igniter).

Called SBI. Apparently this is still a problem with the eco 65's, and they are now working on a third style of igniter similar to their pellet furnaces. According to SBI, their pellet furnace igniters work "flawlessly". They said they would be in testing for 3 or 4 more weeks, and that they would email me when updates are ready and to manually light stove until then.

2 days ago i receive a box with a new control board and 2nd generation igniter and a 3 amp fuse (the wrong size). No emails prior to receiving. I email SBI service, and they say they dropped the ball on emailing me, that the new style igniter won't be available for several more weeks of testing, and that I should just install this igniter and board to get me through.

Anyone else having ongoing issues with their igniters? This stove is great when it works. But these igniter issues are a joke. I wish I could get a refund. I won't ever buy anything from SBI again.

Both of my Harman's are approaching 10 years old (xxv and 52i), and these issues I read about with brands that have the worst reviews, poor customer service and a bad rap on here....

Why do you spend so much money on them and time? I would not hesitate to buy a used harman, st croix, Napoleon....

I am sorry you bought this but you get what you pay for!

hyfire is right. It's staying on way to long. I've watched mine ignite a few times (same stove) and I'm almost 100% positive the ignitor itself isn't on very long. That would be a control board issue Inwould think. But, you also said they sent you a new board and the same thing is happening. ...
I just shut mine down for the weekly cleaning and I'll clean the glass real good and watch when I restart and see just how long mine stays on.
Digitys-nice troubleshooting advice there buddy. Glad your trying to help. All stoves have some issues from time to time brother, just saying a whole line of stoves is garbage doesn't help much.

Reactions: Wessty and olmec
I've lit my 2015 at least 10 times now with no issues. And Drolet customer support is top notch. That's cool they are working on a new design tho.

Reactions: Darren111
So like I said I would here's my ignition cycle.
Push mode to put stove in manual. Combustion blower starts and both augers start. Feeds pellets non stop for about 5 minutes then top auger stops(lower auger never stops unkess stove is shut off I think). About the 5 1/2 minute mark I see the first sparks, leads me to believe the ignitor comes on when the top auger stops. The ignitor definitely does not come on soon as stove is turned on. At 8 minutes the pellets are burned off around the ingnitor and there is no glow under the burn plate so it's definitely off. About 9 minutes the exhaust temp is 130° , the convection fan kicks in and the top auger starts up again.
So out of that whole cycle the ignitor was on for maybe 3 minutes.
If yours is on for more than 5 there is an issue there in my opinion.

T
Both of my Harman's are approaching 10 years old (xxv and 52i), and these issues I read about with brands that have the worst reviews, poor customer service and a bad rap on here....

Why do you spend so much money on them and time? I would not hesitate to buy a used harman, st croix, Napoleon....

I am sorry you bought this but you get what you pay for!
Thanks digitys, that helps a lot.

Crna - what software version does your board display when you plug the stove in? I wonder if they changed something with the newer models.

This is my fourth control board. This most recent one is dated June 2015 manufacture-so it has the most recent software which it indicates as VO.17

4th board? That's strange. Do you have a voltage issue on the house side? My control board version is 1.09 (or something up in the 1.0's).

Yours is probably a first generation stove. Mine is second. What is your serial #? Voltage good, whole house and individual surge protector on stove. I appreciate your help, but these are all issues that SBI and I have discussed on the phone. The fact is, they don't know and can't figure it out-that's why I am so frustrated and wish they would just refund my money. They can have this unreliable piece if scrap.

My stove is running or I'd open the control board compartment and check the date, I'm not real keen on handling it with power running through. I'll shut it down tomorrow and check. I'll double check the software version at the same time.
Man....hate to say it, but sounds like you got a lemon. SBI should come good with either a refund or a whole new stove. No way it should be going through boards that way.
Out of curiosity, have you traced the wiring harness (all of them) to make sure there's not a pinched wire somewhere?

At this point I'd be pissed and desparate (I'm sure your at the pissed off state) and check all the wires period. Something is eating up those control boards.
Another question out of curiosity, have you run the individual test on each component? Just to make sure it's the ignitor blowing the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.