Drolet Escape 1800 or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRP3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2007
NYS
I've been looking at the Drolet Escape 1800, seems to be a good product in that price range and size, but I was wondering if there is something else that might be better in that size and price?

It's a good time proven stove. The more deluxe version is available from Osburn.

Reactions: marty319 and JRP3
Second year of operation for ours. Pushed three cords of mostly oak through it last winter. Best $900 I’ve spent. It is a workhorse.

A4417799-A2C8-41F0-9A16-48365EAA0014.jpeg

Reactions: JRP3 and moresnow
I've been looking at the Drolet Escape 1800, seems to be a good product in that price range and size, but I was wondering if there is something else that might be better in that size and price?
I'd go for it. No better value out there, as far as I'm concerned, by a mile.

Reactions: Ludlow and JRP3
Better phone sbi and find out availability. My friend wanted to buy the osburn 3300 and was told next production run of 75 stoves is sold out.his dealer does not have one in stock.sales of stoves are through the roof.

Amazon from Fireplace Products show they can get order to you between Feb 8 to 19th free delivery $. 1,199.00 plus tax. Mine was a different model but service was good and did arrive sooner at that time.

Reactions: marty319 and JRP3
Amazon from Fireplace Products show they can get order to you between Feb 8 to 19th free delivery $. 1,199.00 plus tax. Mine was a different model but service was good and did arrive sooner at that time.
I would try and get from a dealer as support from amazon would be zippo.

I would try and get from a dealer as support from amazon would be zippo.

We bought our Drolet through a hardware store in Hayward Wisconsin. Upon removing it from the crate at home, I discovered a scratch and a broken fire brick. One call to the hardware store and they sent me a can of Drolet hi heat paint and two fire bricks. Very satisfied with the hardware store purchase.

If you do get the 1800 let me know. I purchased it's bigger brother, the Legend III. I have nicknamed it "Chewy". It loves to eat wood but does push out some impressive heat albeit for short durations...

I'm assuming I can damp it down and get an overnight burn from it. I was going to get the smaller Escape 1500 or Blackcomb but some people said it wouldn't hold much more than 6 hours.

They seem to have fixed any supply issues, stove arrived 6 days after ordering. Good workout getting the 400lb stove in place by myself, put it on a small trailer and backed it up to the sliding glass door in the basement, dragged it down wooden trailer ramps, got it on a small dolly and worked it into place. Seems to be efficient, no problem keeping an overnight burn from 2 medium to large splits on top of coals and leaving a good amount of hot coals for an easy startup 8+ hours later. Did my first fire outside to try and get rid of most of the fumes, still getting some smell after a couple days use but it's getting better. I have it setup in my basement, small 24x24ft A frame house, keeps the whole house warm enough down into the 20's, teens and lower needs a boost from the furnace in the morning. Basement is pretty drafty and mostly uninsulated cinder block, I need to replace the old sliding glass door this summer, should help a lot.

Attachments

• Stove4.jpg
    Stove4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 287
They seem to have fixed any supply issues, stove arrived 6 days after ordering. Good workout getting the 400lb stove in place by myself, put it on a small trailer and backed it up to the sliding glass door in the basement, dragged it down wooden trailer ramps, got it on a small dolly and worked it into place. Seems to be efficient, no problem keeping an overnight burn from 2 medium to large splits on top of coals and leaving a good amount of hot coals for an easy startup 8+ hours later. Did my first fire outside to try and get rid of most of the fumes, still getting some smell after a couple days use but it's getting better. I have it setup in my basement, small 24x24ft A frame house, keeps the whole house warm enough down into the 20's, teens and lower needs a boost from the furnace in the morning. Basement is pretty drafty and mostly uninsulated cinder block, I need to replace the old sliding glass door this summer, should help a lot.
Congratulations! I bet you are going to love it, particularly after a few years.

I should note that I'm currently burning maple and walnut. Better wood should last even longer.

Getting by with 2 splits (as pictured) makes one wonder how well it will do on a full load? Have you tried? It sure looks like it is burning well. Sounds like a nifty joint. Do you have any pics? Where are you located? Enjoy.

Haven't tried a full load yet. I'm in central NY near Cayuga lake, about an hour south of Syracuse. No pics of the house handy but here's my "backyard"

Attachments

• Stream.jpg
    Stream.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: Ludlow and moresnow
You will love it I'm sure. I have the Drolet Legend and I love it :)

I made a few adjustments to improve the stove. Tightened up the nut on the door handle just a bit so now I can partially latch it to allow more air flow when starting a fire without worrying about the door swinging open if a split falls against it. I also added a 1 1/4 inch bar across the bottom of the opening, there is only a small lip there and I would often have ash and some coals fall out when I'd open the door. I trimmed and tightened up the clip so it fits better than in this picture. Just noticed in the pic I already have cracked firebrick in the back :(
The bricks do seem to be held in rather loosely compared to other stoves I've had, also they are lighter than regular firebrick, more like pumice. I'm glad I didn't get the smaller 1500 as even this firebox is a bit shallower than I'd like, which makes it tend to pile up coals near the door, hence the modification. I've found that on cold nights I can put in 3 splits and leave the air supply fully open and there will still be some coals in the morning.

Stove mod.jpg

I made a few adjustments to improve the stove. Tightened up the nut on the door handle just a bit so now I can partially latch it to allow more air flow when starting a fire without worrying about the door swinging open if a split falls against it. I also added a 1 1/4 inch bar across the bottom of the opening, there is only a small lip there and I would often have ash and some coals fall out when I'd open the door. I trimmed and tightened up the clip so it fits better than in this picture. Just noticed in the pic I already have cracked firebrick in the back :(
The bricks do seem to be held in rather loosely compared to other stoves I've had, also they are lighter than regular firebrick, more like pumice. I'm glad I didn't get the smaller 1500 as even this firebox is a bit shallower than I'd like, which makes it tend to pile up coals near the door, hence the modification. I've found that on cold nights I can put in 3 splits and leave the air supply fully open and there will still be some coals in the morning.

View attachment 274909
I like your idea of adding the steel bar to help with ash spillage. I think I'm going to adopt it.

How did you attach it to the stove?

You should be able to see the small clip in the middle of the steel bar. It's an "S" shaped automotive body clip I had lying around that snaps onto the bar and the stove edge. I'll probably try to find a few more for the corners but so far this is working.

You should be able to see the small clip in the middle of the steel bar. It's an "S" shaped automotive body clip I had lying around that snaps onto the bar and the stove edge. I'll probably try to find a few more for the corners but so far this is working.
Thanks, I did see the clip, but didn't know what it was. Simple, resourceful, effective. I think I'll just find some suitable steel and bend it, or maybe check out a couple of the local hardware stores. Now to see if I have any bar stock laying around here anywhere...

Last edited:

View attachment 274909
What did you use and how did you attach the bar

What did you use and how did you attach the bar
Since then I've removed the flat bar because it blocked airflow to the door glass and caused black soot to build up along the bottom edge of the glass. I've just learned to be more careful with keeping the wood and ash away from the front.

Reactions: Hag1