drolet heatmax tundra damper motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerj

Nov 22, 2014
minnesota
Hi again,

Im in the process of hooking up my drolet heatmax (waiting for chimney liner to arrive). I plugged it in today to try out the damper and it wouldnt open. After taking the panel off the back i discovered that the damper rod was not connected to the motor. I tried the damper switch again and the wheel on the motor still wouldnt move. Do i have a faulty damper motor? Or am i not doing something right?

Are you electrically-inclined? I had the same damper motor problem when I hooked up mine this fall. I used the electrical diagram in the manual and my voltmeter and quickly found there wasn't continuity across the high-temperature snap disk (whatever it's called--the one that is electrically closed below 160F and opens above 160F to cut out the damper power if the furnace overheats). SBI sent me a replacement snap disk right away.

If you're not electrically-inclined: can you hear a faint hum when you plug in the furnace? If not, the problem could be your transformer.

But there's not much that can go wrong, so I'd bet it's your snap disk, since SBI told me they had some installation problems on it. Actually, they had called me and left a voicemail indicating the potential problem a few days before I discovered the problem myself, so I give them credit for proactively making things right.

Are you electrically-inclined? I had the same damper motor problem when I hooked up mine this fall. I used the electrical diagram in the manual and my voltmeter and quickly found there wasn't continuity across the high-temperature snap disk (whatever it's called--the one that is electrically closed below 160F and opens above 160F to cut out the damper power if the furnace overheats). SBI sent me a replacement snap disk right away.

If you're not electrically-inclined: can you hear a faint hum when you plug in the furnace? If not, the problem could be your transformer.

But there's not much that can go wrong, so I'd bet it's your snap disk, since SBI told me they had some installation problems on it. Actually, they had called me and left a voicemail indicating the potential problem a few days before I discovered the problem myself, so I give them credit for proactively making things right.
Thanks DoubleB. Ill check the high limit thermodisk tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.