Drolet Heatpro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69mustang

Jul 28, 2015
Ohio
I got an email from SBI today stating that one will be able to order a new Drolet Heatpro from Menards within 2-3 weeks. Is this going to be similar to the Max Caddy, but cheapened up? I am guessing the same firebox?

Hmm, interesting, never heard of a HeatPro before, so must be the new big box "Max" clone? Did they give any info on it? I find nothing on their site about it...and nothing except this thread came up on google either

Yeah, supposed to be the Tundra/HeatMaxs bigger brother, available in big box and farm stores like the Tundra. Tundra is based off the Caddy furnace, HeatPro supposedly gonna be based on the larger Max Caddy furnace
Just FYI for anybody that doesn't know, the Tundra and the Heatmax are the same furnace with only cosmetic differences. Done so that certain companys can sell them without having to price match XYZ store on the "exact same model"

I've always liked the Caddy and Max Caddy line. Any mention of price difference between the Max Caddy and HeatPro?

There has been no "official" news from Drolet on any of this but I have seen and/or been told of emails to Tundra owners that talk of the soon coming larger Tundra-esque furnace. Everything I have heard/seen indicates it will be available for this coming heating season and then the OP said they told him "by the end of August".
If pricing runs like the Tundra, which is about $1000 less than the Caddy, or as little as 1/2 the price of a Caddy if you catch a Tundra on a good sale, then I would say the HeatPro would be maybe $2500-$3000 retail depending on how extravagant the controls are...just guessing

I've always liked the Caddy and Max Caddy line. Any mention of price difference between the Max Caddy and HeatPro?

Unfortunately, they are dirty burners. Unable to meet WA maximum allowable gph emissions rate of 4.5 gph. They spew 6.6 or 50% more than allowed.

Got an email from drolet saying all new tundras have issues resolved said they added insulation and expansion properties to the cracking prone parts? Also said heatpro will be available toward end of the month in limited quantities . It deff will be a larger version of the tundra

I haven't made it through the entire Heatpro manual yet, but I'm intrigued by a couple things:

1. They have all the same electrical inputs as the Tundra, except for an RTD that is mounted in the plenum, and everything is integrated with a printed circuit board. I don't know if that was to reduce costs, but more so I bet they wanted a microcontroller to have better control of temps than the 120F blower snap disc and the 160F overtemp snap disc in the Tundra that might have been too coarse to control temps well enough to help avoid cracking.

2. They have very specific requirements for the plenum and complete home ductwork, again I bet to limit their liability in cases where people didn't install with enough ductwork for airflow, potentially leading to furnace warranty problems. I don't blame SBI for that, although I hafta say that I'm not very interested in a Heatpro if I have to have six 6" ducts sprawling from the top and then connecting to the plenum I already have for my ductwork. In fact, the manual even suggests they don't approve of that, except for the suggestion in paragraph 8.2 that connecting to the existing plenum is ok in the US. Either way, I can only imagine the mess. It would be nicer if they said we could just connect the Heatpro plenum straight to our ductwork plenum.

No parts shown for firebrick at the front, but again I bet they feel they've done something with the RTD to minimize cracking risk?

I haven't made it through the entire Heatpro manual yet, but I'm intrigued by a couple things:

1. They have all the same electrical inputs as the Tundra, except for an RTD that is mounted in the plenum, and everything is integrated with a printed circuit board. I don't know if that was to reduce costs, but more so I bet they wanted a microcontroller to have better control of temps than the 120F blower snap disc and the 160F overtemp snap disc in the Tundra that might have been too coarse to control temps well enough to help avoid cracking.

2. They have very specific requirements for the plenum and complete home ductwork, again I bet to limit their liability in cases where people didn't install with enough ductwork for airflow, potentially leading to furnace warranty problems. I don't blame SBI for that, although I hafta say that I'm not very interested in a Heatpro if I have to have six 6" ducts sprawling from the top and then connecting to the plenum I already have for my ductwork. In fact, the manual even suggests they don't approve of that, except for the suggestion in paragraph 8.2 that connecting to the existing plenum is ok in the US. Either way, I can only imagine the mess. It would be nicer if they said we could just connect the Heatpro plenum straight to our ductwork plenum.

No parts shown for firebrick at the front, but again I bet they feel they've done something with the RTD to minimize cracking risk?
Looks like the same or very similar control board to the one that the Max Caddy has, only Max has a digital display/programmer too (but that may be optional, not for sure on that)
Firebrick appears to be the same as Max

Pass me the popcorn.
52bc7f057decaf8ee5c6b39f2369961106c4528181510c0c502391e49216f4c5.jpg

Reactions: Wisneaky
Popcorn.gif

Reactions: Wisneaky
From the appearance in the manual, the face of the furnace is built like a Caddy. It's a false front with an air gap behind the face. That gap would help keep the face of the firebox from getting too hot. There's nothing there that would scare me into not purchasing a unit. I can't wait for the reviews. The manual is showing a weight of 719 pounds without options. That's not a small furnace. That extra firebox size is something I need on those -20 degree days.

Havent had a chance to read the manual. Is there no other configuration besides to 6 outlets? Seems extreme to have all those heading toward existing plenum

I own a max caddy so I can easily see the differences on this unit . It looks pretty inferior to me but that may not be a fair assessment because I'm sure it'll be priced much lower and may offer a good value . It looks like they have the same damper control setup as the tundra other than the probe is no longer stationary in the back of the unit and you can put in where you want now in the ducting . Not really innovative . Id say it's much more like a big tundra than it is a max . The max has high temperature insulation internally all around the air jacket. In the the max all welds are clean all sealing areas are sealed very well with ceramic gaskets everything is high end . The max is not a simple " on "off " limit switch for a single set speed blower like the 1970s that all other furnaces use ..The max has a high tech controllable PC board that is far far more complicated and adjustable also the max changes fan speed multiple times throughout the burn cycle which is a huge benefit in a furnace .this is a huge leap I cant stress that enough the air is always warm and it doesn't cool the firebox off like a single speed blower will . the heatpro has a really goofy plenum setup . Who thinks of this stuff why would anyone want to have 857 round ducts coming off the top of the unit ? The heatpro has that odd coat hanger that runs through it to actuate the damper flap this sticks from time to time instead of the simple caddy chain version which is always reliable . If the coat hanger sticks the damper won't open and the house will cool down quick . It has that big dresser ash drawer with bolts instead of a gasket lined sealed handled style like the caddy has which you wouldn't think makes much difference but this is a great feature to quickly "turbo " a fresh load from a few coals into an inferno in a minute so you can get going to work in morning . No options for water loop no options for electric heat unit or oil burner for backup No over heat mode (aside from closing the damper )No ac circulation modes or automated adjustable fan settings . The plenum hood alone would make me question the design . But all that said it would likely be a big step in the right direction for a guy with a old furnace like a hot blast or Clayton that he wanted to replace

Last edited:
I may be going out on a limb here, but me thinks you not impressed @lexybird ? ;lol

Is there no other configuration besides to 6 outlets? Seems extreme to have all those heading toward existing plenum

There are additional configurations--you can use up to the 10 outlets provided! Again, I can't blame SBI as it seems they're trying to have more control on the heat distribution to ensure their furnaces are adequately cooled. But, they can't blame us if the unit has slow sales due to awkwardness.

The max has a high tech controllable PC board that is far far more complicated and adjustable also the max changes fan speed multiple times throughout the burn cycle which is a huge benefit in a furnace .this is a huge leap I cant stress that enough the air is always warm and it doesn't cool the firebox off like a single speed blower will .

Actually it looks like the Heatpro does this as well. I didn't see anything in the manual about the operator controlling the blower speed. I bet the PCB does that. Further, the Tundra doesn't have an RTD probe, nor very accurate control of burn rate or temps if the owner were to leave the damper open.

Actually it looks like the Heatpro does this as well. I didn't see anything in the manual about the operator controlling the blower speed. I bet the PCB does that.
That's what I was thinkin

Further, the Tundra doesn't have an RTD probe, nor very accurate control of burn rate or temps if the owner were to leave the damper open.
I think the way the intake damper is run is the same, other than the high limit is controlled by the board instead of a snap switch. Still "open" when tstat calls for heat and "closed" when tstat is satisfied. Maybe I'm wrong...

I think the way the intake damper is run is the same, other than the high limit is controlled by the board instead of a snap switch. Still "open" when tstat calls for heat and "closed" when tstat is satisfied. Maybe I'm wrong...

It does appear the damper is still either fully open or fully closed. However, the (presumed) ability of the PCB to know and control blower speed, as well as the analog input of the RTD, give the PCB enough information to run an algorithm that can probably be much more effective at preventing overtemp conditions and close the damper even if the tstat or manual switch call for "open". I think the Tundra is much more likely to have the damper open when it shouldn't because its controls are limited to the 160F snap disc, which is much too high a setpoint if you have decent airflow in your ducts.

I think the Tundra is much more likely to have the damper open when it shouldn't because its controls are limited to the 160F snap disc, which is much too high a setpoint if you have decent airflow in your ducts.
That's why I really like @3fordashos temp controller idea!

Reactions: DoubleB
Status
Not open for further replies.