Drolet legend 3 or ht3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sparky18

Nov 7, 2022
Eastern Ontario
Hi all I’m looking at a new wood stove Drolet legend 3 given it’s affordability vs a ht3000 , dint see any reviews on it. Any input on it would be appreciated. Also I’m heating a 1500sq ft old leaky farm house

The Legend III is the same as the Myriad III and the Austral III stoves but with legs and side panels. Although the firebox size is similar to the HT3000, there are notable differences. The Legend/Austral firebox is a bit taller with an upper row of horiz. firebrick.

The HT 3000 is a bit fancier with a built-in steptop convection system that can put out very hot air with the blower on. Its firebox is not as tall, but it is wider, allowing E/W loading of 22" splits (19" N/S).

I prefer the look of legs on a stove I have the osburn 3300 which is the same firebox size that drolet makes in those 3 stoves that begreen mentions.i also put the blower on mine.i am very happy with my stove but if I had to buy again I don't think the osburn is worth the big increase in price over the drolet as the performance should be the same.

20221108_060020.jpg

Those are both serious heaters. Should do well heating your place. I have a Myriad that does a good job of heating my drafty old house of ~2300 sq ft, until it gets down to the single digits. I prefer the N/S loading vs the E/W.

I prefer the look of legs on a stove I have the osburn 3300 which is the same firebox size that drolet makes in those 3 stoves that begreen mentions.i also put the blower on mine.i am very happy with my stove but if I had to buy again I don't think the osburn is worth the big increase in price over the drolet as the performance should be the same.
Yes, the Osburn 3300 has the same firebox as the Austral/Myriad/Legend with some fancier trimmings and a C-Cast baffle instead of vermiculite. The Osburn 3500 shares the Drolet HT3000 firebox with the same differences.

We've been running a Legend III since early November. Would we buy it again? Yes.

We replaced a Columbia II. We couldn't put up with the E/W loading in the dead of winter when the stove had to run full constantly with very short burn times and logs falling against the glass all the time with two incidents of burning logs actually falling out of the stove and a daily need of ash/coal removal. Our climate is quite severe. In warmer times it was perfect as we loaded smaller loads.

We prefer stoves on legs too, so we got the legend. Now we have lots of room for wood N/S or E/W. I cut wood at 18-19 inches with an odd 20. 18" fits either way, 20 fits N/S nicely.

-30C coming for the next couple of nights. Either stove will heat our 12-1300 sq ft of drafty old farmhouse no problem. The legend does it effortlessly. I expect it will keep us warm from midnight to 6am no problem on a single load of wood in a preheated house with plenty of coals to restart in the morning.

I think I've only removed ash about 3 or 4 times in the last month running 24/7 (and only some ash, not all of it). That will become more frequent as winter sets in and full loads become commonplace.

I seem to be getting more sleep with the legend than I did with the Columbia. Quite a bit more, in fact.

Looks good! That large window presents a commanding fire view.

Interesting floor arrangement. Looks like the stove is now on slab? How much pipe do you have from collar to cap? Good luck!

I just set it on patio on stones to have it off the ground to help with minor flooding dint want the base rusting , roughly 18 feet of chimney and 5 feet of dw stove pipe,