Drolet Savannah vs Jotul f400 for mobile home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flight301

Jan 13, 2014
New york
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I grew up in a house heated solely by a wood stove, but I am not an expert on wood stoves by any means. I am trrying to decide between the Drolet Savannah and the Jotul F400 Castine.

My fiance and I purchased a 14x70 mobile home and moved it onto our property. We were planning on getting a wood stove over the summer (the Drolet Savannah), but now we have 2 options and we may not be able to pass up on one of them. The Drolet Savannah is currently on sale at Northern Tools for $645; its normally priced at $760. After seeing this I am tempted to buy it because the extra savings will pay for the shipping cost because we don't live near a Northern Tools. However, I am always browsing craigslist for used wood stoves, and today I happened to find a Jotul F400 listed for $400 within 20 miles of where I live.

I am honestly not that saavy about wood stoves; while I grew up in a house heated by one, I never paid much attention to the operation or mechanics of it (embarrassing I know). I read reviews (good and bad reviews) to get an idea of whether other people like the stoves, and I make sure its mobile home rated and look at the specs to see how big of a space the stoves heat. That is the extent of how I evaluate wood stoves. So I would like to know if anyone on this forum has any thoughts or recommendations about the Jotul F400 vs Drolet Savannah? The Jotul is less expensive, and depending on the condition may be a better deal- but if the Drolet Savannah operates better I would pay more for it.

Thank you!

Welcome. These are very different stoves. One is steel the other is cast iron. Both will do the job but they are a bit on the small side. Both are easy to operate. If the Castine is in excellent condition that is a great price. Operative word here is condition. The stove needs to be examined closely for overfiring and cracks, especially in the base around the grate.

I would recommend you look at the PE True North TN19 in addition. Why? It's a little larger for longer burn times and because it has a square firebox which is provides more loading choices and less opportunity for logs to roll up against the glass when loaded N/S with the splits parallel to the stove sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.