Drolet stoves any good ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, I guess your are right.

All company's have there tricks and when they are caught they say "who me" and they will have a explanation for how they did it.

Crewchief,

Some good info there, thanks

I think why you see different listings for btu output is that the calculation maybe figured at lets say a medium burn rate instead of a highest rate.

Plus the published rate is per hour.

My cheap Vogelzang China Performer Wood Stove is rated at 120,000 btu per hour. And raises some concerned that the numbers are fudged. So I did some figuring a while back after I first bought it.

According to the published charts using wood seasoned to 20% moisture, White Oak would give 27 million BTU per 80 Cubic Feet standard size of a Cord of Wood.

27,000,000 BTU / 80 = 337,500 BTU per "1 Cubic Foot" of White Oak wood Season to 20% Moisture Content.

If everything were perfect then "2 cubic foot" of White Oak would yield 675,000 BTU. As my stove is 2.1 cubic foot fire box.

So figuring in 76% efficiency brings it down to 513,000 btu's.

Then if you figure this 120K per hour output rating with the stove air fully open burning at its highest rate I would imagine that you would only get lets say about 4 hours of burn.

So now if we take the 513,000 btus. that we should get out of that amount of white oak wood and divide it by say 4 hour burn time at the stoves highest setting as these stoves even at their highest settings have a pretty limited air supply.

513,000 / 4 hours = 128,250 btu's per hour rating.

So their rating is pretty close theoretical but their rating was tested by Omni test labs for real world.

Now if you figured your rating for an 8 hour burn time then 513,000 / 8 = 64,125 btu rating per hour. As some stoves in similar size do rate closer to this number.

By the way my stove isnt cheap its pretty well made.

Hi! I have been reading the forum all season to get up to speed on heating with wood (no back-up), but this is my first post here, since I am burning this season for the first time since I was a kid.

Anyway, I have a Drolet Savannah (my husband got it on an AMAZING sale), and so far we are pretty happy with it heating our 1100 sq ft farmhouse that is in the middle of a remodel. A few things that we have learned so far this season:

1. The Savannah is slow to start when completely cold - I often leave the door cracked for the first 15 minutes to get it going. Once we learned to leave it open, we don't have problems getting the stove going.

2. The Savannah does NOT like unseasoned wood. Well-seasoned locust burns really well, but the semi-seasoned walnut, locust, etc. smokes and sputters and doesn't get hot.

3. The manual says to put the thermometer on the pipe, and we have found that to be fairly frustrating - it never reads above 200 - even if it the stovetop reads 600. Now we just leave it on the stovetop.

4. We can get an overnight burn (when using seasoned wood), but, so far, anyway, I come home to a cool stove after work (9 - 10 hours). We are still tinkering with methodology to try to get a longer burn, but...

5. We like the look of the stove, and we are learning the quirks of the stove. Overall, we like it.

I hope that this helps!

We have the drolet baltic (heat shields) and we love it. As mentioned before the by-pass damper is a real plus. Our house is 1900 sq ft and it heats it no problem even on the coldest days. came with a fan which works very well, although a bit noisy for my taste but helps to distibute heat on those really cold days, otherwise we just leave it off. Drolet is a quality company, you wont be disapointed. Good luck

Hi! I have been reading the forum all season to get up to speed on heating with wood (no back-up), but this is my first post here, since I am burning this season for the first time since I was a kid.

Anyway, I have a Drolet Savannah (my husband got it on an AMAZING sale), and so far we are pretty happy with it heating our 1100 sq ft farmhouse that is in the middle of a remodel. A few things that we have learned so far this season:

Overall, we like it.

I hope that this helps!

Hi, I am in central Virginia. I just purchased a fairly new (used 2 weeks) Savannah and have some questions.
1. How did the stove do for you these past two weeks when the temps really dropped ?
2. Do you ever see the secondary burn?
3. I'm not having any difficulty keeping the door glass clean, but I'm sure not seeing any secondary burn. In fact, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it is even possible for there to be a secondary burn based upon the Drolet diagram:
http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/manuels/Savannah-0004.pdf (use adobe reader to enlarge to 300%).

Thanks !

Menards has their 11% rebate offer going on, least the one by me does. Looks like you can get the Myriad for $800. But i think the rebate thing ends soon.

Menards has their 11% rebate offer going on, least the one by me does. Looks like you can get the Myriad for $800. But i think the rebate thing ends soon.

Mine is running the 11% rebate until the end of January. Relatively sure that it's the same, all over.

I am looking for feedback and reviews on the Drolet stoves. I think made in Canada. They are sold at my local menards. I was looking at the Austral or Myriad models both 3.1 cu ft . I wonder if they are comparable to the Englander 30. I have not checked yet to see how many they have in stock or if they have started to clearance out anything.

I have checked at Home Depot for the Englander 30 and they have none in stock anywhere within 100 miles of me so forget about trying to get one on clearance.

Just looking for feedback and experience from forum on the reviews of this brand of stove.

I have to do something different current stove is way under powered for my set-up.
I've been using a Drolet Eastwood 1800 for 3 years now and it has heated my 3,000+ Sq ft home very well but when it gets down to -20 I have to keep right on it and feed it often. I got a deal on it at Menards because I knew it was on clearance for some time so I offered them $599 for the stove if I bought the needed Selkirk SS chimney parts and the double wall stove pipe right then and there. The deal was done and I put it all in myself and have been happy with it since!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I burn the Drolet Myriad and it is a pretty amazing stove. Awesome control of air intake and heat. Even without the airwash technology, the window remains pretty clear, big and gives beautiful views of the fires. I have 1700 sq livable space and another 600 garage space and it keeps my house at 70 - 75 in subzero temps. Flat top is great for cooking, recommend putting down aluminum foil if you are boiling water to protect the cooktop. The fan on my myriad is pretty good, occasionally has a rattle that comes and goes. The only complaint I have is the air intake rod seems flimsy and i am afraid I will bend it sometimes when I am pushing it in, but haven't had an issue yet. I've had the cooktop burning at 650 and the stove still has room to roast.

I have used the Drolet 1800 escape for better part of two years now in very cold Southwest,MN in an 1920's farmhouse with spotty insulation but good windows. Anyway I find the stove is of good quality and is easy to learn how to use it right. However when the temps stay at or below zero for 2 weeks straight with wind chills minus 20 I need my furnace in order to keep the house at 69 where we like it. Not the stoves fault, it is kicking out great amounts of heat but the stove is a little undersized for my 1700 sq ft house at those temps. Go as big as you can would be my advice. I'll be moving up to the Baltic after we do some remodeling to accompany the clearance requirements of the Baltic and hopefully some money left over for insulation upgrades.

Yeah, I wrote a message above. This is my fourth year with my Drolet and its doing good. It's been going non-stop for weeks now with the very cold temperatures up here. I'll let the furnace take over once a week to take out ash and then it's going again. Tonight it'll be down to -22 F so I'll be up as usual putting wood in it. My next stove will be bigger. Something like the Drolet HT2000 if it's still around in ten years or so.

I have a Drolet Baltic in the basement which I used much more last year than this winter. It's a good stove - no complaints. It is a solid, no frills, easy to operate heater. I don't spend much time in the basement but enjoyed the fire view when the tending the stove, so I had a very similar stove (but smaller footprint Regency F2400 2.3 cu. ft. ) installed upstairs and now use it pretty much all the time. I like both stoves.

I have a Drolet 1800. No real complaints and yes, sometimes I wish it was bigger. Basement is 80deg right now and outdoor temp is 21deg. Sometimes too big and sometimes too small.

I just have a question. I have a Englander 13 1800sq feet stove with a 1.8 cf firebox& my house is about 1100 sq feet& i was going to upgrade to a Drolet Escape 1800 with a 2.4 fire box or the Drolet Baltic ll with 3.2 fire box but I'll be building an addition this spring that will be another 500 sq feet. Will the Baltic ll be to big or should i go with the Escape? I love the burn time on the Baltic& cooktop but wonder if the size will be to much

I am looking for feedback and reviews on the Drolet stoves. I think made in Canada. They are sold at my local menards. I was looking at the Austral or Myriad models both 3.1 cu ft . I wonder if they are comparable to the Englander 30. I have not checked yet to see how many they have in stock or if they have started to clearance out anything.

I have checked at Home Depot for the Englander 30 and they have none in stock anywhere within 100 miles of me so forget about trying to get one on clearance.

Just looking for feedback and experience from forum on the reviews of this brand of stove.

I have to do something different current stove is way under powered for my set-up.
Love my SBI insert. Real utilitarian, great price, excellent support.

I hope that they figure out a thermostat control one day, but it's a real heater as is, just requires a little attention to operate it. Great bang for the buck.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I just have a question. I have a Englander 13 1800sq feet stove with a 1.8 cf firebox& my house is about 1100 sq feet& i was going to upgrade to a Drolet Escape 1800 with a 2.4 fire box or the Drolet Baltic ll with 3.2 fire box but I'll be building an addition this spring that will be another 500 sq feet. Will the Baltic ll be to big or should i go with the Escape? I love the burn time on the Baltic& cooktop but wonder if the size will be to much

I'd go with the bigger one if i was you, just build smaller fires in it if need be. I think my austral is 3.4 and it's perfect for my 1600 sq ft house. Better to go too big than to small in my opinion. Plus you like the cook top and burn time on the bigger one so 2 more pluses there. Drolet makes wonderful stoves at reasonable prices.

I just have a question. I have a Englander 13 1800sq feet stove with a 1.8 cf firebox& my house is about 1100 sq feet

How well does the Englander heat your home? If that does the job well, I wouldn't go with the bigger Baltic.

Yes, you can always go bigger and build smaller fires, but there's a point that your firebox is too big and your small fire isn't big enough.

I’d go with the Escape 1800. It’d be more efficient than building small fires that don’t burn hot enough go into full advanced burn in a oversized stove. I’m on my second Drolet stove now since I sold my old place and left my first one there. The stove I run now is the Escape 1800 and it’s working quite well for a $800 stove.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
When i wake up in the morning my Englander would be burned down to nothing& my house cold. I ended up buying the Drolet Baltic ll instead of the Escape for a few reasons. I can still burn bigger fires& will, the cook top will come in alot of use since power goes out alot here& with the 2.4 fire box in the Escape was only a little bit bigger then my 1.8 fire box in my little Englander. The longer burn time will be an excellent choice i think& how cold it gets here will be worth it i think. Thanks for all the feed back

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Good choice. The Baltic has a big 3+ cu ft firebox.

I live in Wisconsin and also could not find a single Home Depot with the 30-NC in stock. Mine came from a Colorado Home Depot store for $649...they typically go on sale in March or April. Awesome stove, great for straight in loading. $649 includes a blower and the stove is shipped ready to connect outside air if you would like to do so...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk