Drolet, US or Vogelzang?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the black one. >>

Simply more wood equals more heat and longer burn time. That is in the secondary air type non-cat stoves . More efficiency will equal more heat.

Last edited:
Buy the steel one. LoL

As tekguy said, check the clearance specs out on each stove, that may help you narrow it down. Floor, sides, back, mantle, alcove install approved, etc. All things to keep in mind...
BTW, I have a VZ Defender, been happy with it. Definitely better than their older products!!

Ok last question, what's going to put out the most heat as well as the longest burn? All I keep reading is don't believe the company stats. Ruled out the US3000. Short list: Ponderosa, HT 2000 and NC30. Sorry to be so indecisive.

the "finalists" are all very similar each are great stoves. wish I could help you bro, but im biased. personally I doubt you would be disappointed with any of those 3 units

Well I think it's the Drolet. Just hope she pumps out more heat that this ancient VC. I can't stand using anymore oil. Thanks guys and gals. We are getting some snow up here so I've got a lil plowing to do. I'll keep ya posted :)

The Drolet HT2000 gets very positive reviews on Northerntool.com; there is one person who has written the same negative review on about 5 quadrillion websites including this one. The stove is built in Canada where they know a thing or two about cold weather, the price is reasonable and it has a 3.6 cubic foot firebox. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have bought the HT2000.

I own a VG EPA, have had no problems with the stove. That said, if I had t do it over again, and had got on here first I probably would have got an NC-30. I need a bit more BTU's in my basement setup, and may get one this off season.
If I weren't looking for the cheapest stove that was 'rectangular', 2.2 cuft and EPA cert (needed it to fit in corner with tight clearances, rental went 50/50 with landlord), I would have looked at some a few price points higher.
The VZ Durango leaves a little to be desired on the door latch, and the primary air control., plus others use thicker steel which may make you sleep at night easier.
I'm learning a lot of the problems I've been having (stove running away on me, being the biggest) come down to draft {crosswinds/crappy chimney placement}, poor wood and general learning curve.
So far been solid. Probably overfired it a few times before I had thermometers. Nothing except a few visible seams in the front top sides. Nothing scary.

But looking at other models/manufacturers out there, it seems for a few hundred extra you can get some nice features (like an ash pan or OAK).
Burning pine, so couldn't tell you about burn times. But always less than advertised.

Ofcourse when I look at some of the stoves in the 3K range, I get really impressed.

What size is the chimney?

So the new VZs aren't the same deathboxes, but looking at others, they'll probably maintain the lower rung on the totem pole.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in an early 80's VC Defiant?

After all this discussion I realized I do need to get rid of my old stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running an HT2000 for almost two heating seasons... My only complaint is the door doesn't open all the way, due to the hinge design. Previous stove was a Flame XVR-II (Drolet)... less than half the size I recall.

I have zero issues with the HT2000. I bought it and a brand new blower... blower made some squealing and was louder than expected, they replaced it no questions asked.

My Drolet Myriad's door doesnt open as much as my old stove. It swings open a little past being straight out, if that makes sense, but it will not swing completely backwards.

My Drolet Myriad's door doesnt open as much as my old stove. It swings open a little past being straight out, if that makes sense, but it will not swing completely backwards.
I vote for the Drolet. Fit and finish is top notch.

The Drolet HT2000 gets very positive reviews on Northerntool.com; there is one person who has written the same negative review on about 5 quadrillion websites including this one. The stove is built in Canada where they know a thing or two about cold weather, the price is reasonable and it has a 3.6 cubic foot firebox. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have bought the HT2000.

Unfortunately most every review on Northern Tool is positive. I suspect they filter out a lot of the negatives and only leave in one or two token bad reviews for balance. That is not saying that the Drolet is not a good stove. I just take NT reviews with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.