Drolet vs the $$$ Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

schultzp85

Sep 15, 2018
Libertyville, il
I currently have been using a drolet stove for around 6 years now. I have very few complaints. My only complaint is the burn time on the unit. Being one of the smaller ones ( Savannah ).

I am looking at getting a insert for the fire place and removing the stand alone stove. My question is why are the Drolets so cheap compared to the others? I am looking at a Blaze King, but seems like they are 2 to 3 hours drive to a dealer by me. Quad or Vermont castings dealers are much closer.

Are these higher end stoves worth the extra money?

I live on the WI, IL Boarder. I use it as my primary heat source through out the winter.

SBI and Englander make good quality value stoves. They sell high volumes which helps keep the price down. Drolet is part of the SBI group which makes many models (Century, Drolet, Osburn, Enerzone,) which share some common parts. That also helps keep costs down.

That said there are no large Drolet or Englander inserts, but SBI does make the large Osburn 2400 if it will fit your fireplace. Quadrafire makes the large model 5100i insert.

So the main thing that makes them more expensive is how "custom" built they are. I've compared their specs and most are very similar expect the Blaze King with its great burn time.

I just feel like I am missing something. I seems silly to spend the extra money on a stove that has similar, maybe slightly better stats?

So the main thing that makes them more expensive is how "custom" built they are. I've compared their specs and most are very similar expect the Blaze King with its great burn time.

I just feel like I am missing something. I seems silly to spend the extra money on a stove that has similar, maybe slightly better stats?
If you compare then side by side there are clear cost saving compromises made. The SBI and Englander stoves are still work pretty well but there are some definate advantages with some of the higher end stoves

They are not all built equal. Many secondary stoves are similar in design and construction but the firebox shape can be different, the weight of the metal, the amount of stainless used, the baffle design, a bypass option, etc. all are possible differences. PE uses a different design with a stainless steel baffle box that also houses the secondaries. This rests on stainless rails. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there are hybrid stoves, soapstones, cast iron stoves, cast iron jacketed stoves and on and on. But if you just want the least expensive, large stout, steel box then the Osburn 2400 is worth a look. The PE Summit is a popular model with additional features like a regulated secondary supply. The Lopi Freedom has a bypass built in. Lots of choices out there.

Yes, preference and desired features. Some are easier to clean, some heat a bit better, some look great, some burn cleaner, some burn longer. Kind of like you can get a basic 2 door work pickup for $25K or a 4WD, gussied up, full leather, double-cab, fancy version for $80K. They both get you to the store to pick up the groceries, but if it's a long ride you might appreciate some good music and air conditioning.

Last edited:
I couldn’t justify spending bk type money for a plate steel noncat stove so in bought an Englander for very little money. The dang thing does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Since my original post, we found https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-stoves/db07300/, and there's one available locally. Can anyone speak to the build quality, longevity, etc. of Drolet vs. Lopi? The price points on the Drolet (about $1,800) vs. Lopi Liberty (about $4,000) are so extreme!
Is the liberty really $4000 now? That's really high. I really think the Lopi is better in several ways but I don't think it's that much better

It can be all of that. Each company has a price point they gave to meet when designing a stove. Some stoves have a better fit and finish, easier to adjust controls, greater efficiency due to materials and or design.

At the most basic. A welded steel non cat stove is 6 plates of steel welded into a box. (We’re ignoring that one side is mostly a door.). On the bottom and lower sides of the stove is going to be firebrick to protect the steel and reflect heat back into the fire for lower emissions. That’s mostly going to be the same between manufacturers.

On top of that basic box and brick a manufacturer is going to install what makes their stove special. This is probably a baffle system to help keep the fire hot. An air injection system will be installed either in the baffle or just below it to help reburn the smoke, and a primary air system will be installed to help with startup. They all have different designs and some work better than others for certain situations. There are always compromises in a design, and none are perfect.

The right chimney can make or break a stove system. The wrong chimney can lead to a very frustrating experience with the best stove. Wet wood can do the same.

It’s up to the buyer to rate the importance of each stove’s differences and determine if it is worth the premium.