Dry wood is a must.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
My wood is dry this year. What a pleasure to burn dry wood. Last year I bought all my wood, it was all advertised as seasoned.........some of it dripped water in my stove, the other sizzled all the time.

My wife got upset several times because I had to constantly open the door to give it oxygen in hopes it would catch.

The importance of dry wood in my opinion is probably the most important thing a wood burner must make sure of, without this single thing, nothing else really matters, though every thing else is important too.

This year so far, I can put a seasoned smaller round of oak on just a few coals and within a couple minutes it in full blaze.

I feel more like a man, every time I get a fire going I run around the living room screaming "FIRE !" I have made FIRE !........... :coolsmile:

If your trying to burn wet wood, try to find some dry and it will make a huge difference even in the way your stove performs I think.

Robbie

Some people thought i was nuts only putting a few small splits in my Summit stove and the secondary combustion was working with such a small load ...........DRY WOOD BABY !

I always say a good rule of thumb is 9 months to season ....
I normally burn 2 years out so a good supply to get ahead is a must.
I know I want the max BTU's out of all the hard work I did with all of my wood , thats 4 sure.

First year i drove my family NUTS starting a fire.
Ever seen the show Cast Away with Tom Hanks ?

"Look what i have created .........FIRE! "

Attachments

• Created FIRE.JPG
    Created FIRE.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 425
Those are great pics ! I love that movie too............ :)

I've been burning a very small split of oak and hickory (extra dry) for about 4 hours now, and still some left.

If you ever burn dry wood, you will never go back to wet............. :lol:

Robbie

You and I were in the same boat last year. I ran out of wood 1/2 through the winter and scrambled to cut anything that was halfway dry. It always sucked in the morning to try to get any type of fire going. Now I have 3 times the seasoned wood and I am like you. I cant believe how easy it catches. Hooray for dry wood. =)

My wood is dry. And it makes starting it pretty easy too. I have started using bags of shavings from my woodshop. I take a small brown lunch bag of shavings, stick it in the stove and pile some wood on top and around it.....making sure not to compress it. Then I light the bag and tear it open a bit. Close the door nearly all the way to create a strong draft, blast furnace effect. As the shavings burn the ashes tend to fall away exposing the other shavings underneath. That's all it takes. The 2-4 inch splits I put in with the bag catch fire and she's rolling in no time. An absolute joy.

I was saying the same thing to my wife last night about seasoned firewood. Last year we used wood that had been cut and split for a couple of years, but it was left laying in a heap in the shade. In the spring I stacked it all up in the sun and wind and what a difference! The glass on our stove used to get a bit dirty around the edges, maybe a one inch band, but this year there is hardly a trace of soot on the glass. The fire also starts so much easier than last year as well.

You're all making me feel terrible about my supply this year. I'm normally set a year in advance, but I got my dad a stove last year and gave him 4 cords of my wood. Then along came baby, and being extra busy at work. I'm still splitting for this year, although the wood was cut last year. I feel like I let myself and my family down, especially my wallet. Oh well, I look forward to next year. Enjoy your dry wood, always remember how special it is.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.