Drying in a Polytunnel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

philt

Dec 13, 2021
Birmingham, UK
Hi guys,

Appreciate the help and advice I've been given thus far on my wood burning journey. A post caught my eye earlier about solar kilns, which got me thinking about polytunnels, I know some firewood suppliers use the huge commercial ones that have a lower level of netting for air flow, I wondered if something like this would work on a smaller scale with wood stacked down the middle on pallets: https://www.wilko.com/outsunny-walk...wCK_X7zgXg8EhhoK25kaAoOHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's only got the large opening at the front but has the 8 mesh windows down the sides, would this be enough for air flow? Would it still cause issues with condensation in winter? Appreciate my stacking would need to be a little more careful but could cobble together some kind of wire mesh around the wood to make doubly sure it doesn't fall and damage the sides.

Cheers!

I thought of something similar. Trapping heat is the main goal. Just enough air flow to move moisture but not to much so the temps stay high is the goal. One member uses fairly welled seal board and batten shed with no venting. It’s in a sunny spot and the siding is unfinished allowing the moisture to move out. So I argue elevated temperature is more important than air flow. RH inside will likely be near 100 percent. But drying will still occur. Not much drying happens without sun. Chances for expediting the drying for this heating season are not great.

I’ve thought about something like that except with black plastic. It would heat up and make the interior pretty warm.

Black plastic heats up and radiates half to the outside (and half to inside). Transparent plastic is far better; it allows the energy to be absorbed inside the tunnel.

Reactions: ericm979 and EbS-P
I think in Europe they do large tunnels open on each side, the design of the tunnel creates natural convection, 2 large opening which tappers down to the middle, creates airflow while keeping heat in a microclimate.

Reactions: sloeffle
It will absolutely work...

For many years, I stacked my yearly wood supply onto pallets in a car shelter something like this:
abris-simple.png

The wood I received was 'dry-ish' when I bought it, but the shelter was very good at getting hot and driving moisture out of the wood. I typically kept the door flap unzipped on one side, and that worked to allow enough moisture escape while keeping enough heat in.

Reactions: sloeffle