Drying time in a covered barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
I have about 6 cords of wood in stalls in a covered barn, 16" long splits in about 4 or 5 rows deep. This wood was stored here after <1 year drying time (sometimes <1 month) by someone else - I would not have moved it in here. It's been there about 2 years.

I'm drying additional wood outside for 2 years, after which I'll likely move it inside.

My question is how long will the 6 cords stored when green take to dry to <20% m.c. inside a barn? Does anyone have any experience with this?

The only, way to be sure is buy a moisture meter and check it, it will still dry some inside.

Yes, of course, but that would involve unstacking three or four rows of wood to reach deep into the backs of multiple different stacks. Therefore, I am more interested in some real-world experience and rules of thumb.

I season my wood in a pole barn 60X40. One of the 60 foot sides in completely open. I get better results in there compared to outside top covered. In Feb of 13 I got some fresh cut chestnut oak. Some was stored outside under cover and some was in the barn. I actually was out last week measuring it. The stuff in the barn is 21%-24% and the stuff outside is 31%-34%. I know a lot of folks here think it is a bad idea but I prefer it. Just as long as you have some doors or windows that are open, you should be in great shape.

I split green beech and black birch, stacked just under 2 cords in a metal Shenango building on 9-30-12. In November 2013 I tested the biggest splits by resplitting to get a speculative reading. They were all in the range of 18-19%. Doable.
I have 1/2 facecord left. Probably would have gotten better heat out of a second drying season but, Oh well.
the metal building had a garage doorway left open and that part of the building has a dirt floor.
Not really any air circulation.
I will never stack green wood in there again despite the wood seasoning just fine.
It started out pretty bad. I had condensation on entire ceiling with water literally dripping off the metal.
I would never put green wood in any building. I also did this with a shed with a cord of fresh split black birch. Same deal. Major condensation.
However the wood seemed to dry anyway. (with my one year timeframe)
Im having 30mph wind gusts here today and have already reset metal roofing on top of outdoor woodpiles. It is a PITA to use pallets and cinderblocks and fieldstones to batten them down but they are getting maximum air circulation.
My ideal "shed" would be a pole barn roof with all open sides. Or a giant octagonal corn crib.

The plus in that situation would be elevated temp; If it gets hot in there, yet still has a little airflow, it might do OK. But no first-hand experience, sorry....

I put 2/3 of a cord of sugar maple in the corner of the upper floor of a barn that happened to be built into the side of a hill, so it was high and dry. It was back when we put some wood away for occasional fireplace use, so I figured it would be dry enough by the time we wanted it since it was a warm dry spot. It got plenty dry after a fall and another year, but there was evidence of slight molding and rot, not the kind of thing you want to see inside your barn.

I think all it would take to do it right would be some duct work and a small fan to pull a small steady flow of air out from below and behind the stacks, venting to the outdoors.

I have about 6 cords of wood in stalls in a covered barn, 16" long splits in about 4 or 5 rows deep. This wood was stored here after <1 year drying time (sometimes <1 month) by someone else - I would not have moved it in here. It's been there about 2 years.

I'm drying additional wood outside for 2 years, after which I'll likely move it inside.

My question is how long will the 6 cords stored when green take to dry to <20% m.c. inside a barn? Does anyone have any experience with this?

That depends upon what kind of wood it is and can also depend upon your climate to a great degree. Still, after 2 years, most of it is probably good to go.

My wood shed is a cave. It had a leak towards the back last winter, so a couple rows got pretty well soaked. After sitting and baking all summer, I figured they'd be ready to go. Nope :(

Now, one long wall is all but gone, and I'll stack the new stuff looser so I can get wind between the rows.

Thanks for all of your input. I don't plan on burning this wood for 2-3 more years (maybe longer if I stack more dry wood in front of it). It sounds like it will be ready when I am ready to use it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.