Drying wood in unfinished basement with dehumidifier - ok to do this ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phineas1731

I have about 2/3 cord of dry wood that I will start using once new stove installed. I know I should have had wood bought last year but here we are. I thought about bringing in wood and drying it in basement using dehumidifier. I’d check moisture levels but is this safe/worthwhile/even practical ? I have a dehumidifier there already. Continuous drain, so no need to dump all the time. Thoughts anyone ?

I would be somewhat concerned about bugs; wet wood often contains wood eating bugs. Putting those in your basement carries some risk.

I don't think the wood will be dry enough before this burning season if it is wet now and you put it inside with a dehumidifier. Unless you are heating the basement - a lot. But given that it's not finished, I surmise that is not the case.

Bottomline, I think you better look if you can get a pallet (or two) of biobricks (compressed sawdust logs). Make sure they do not contain (wax) additives etc. but are pure sawdust.

Not ideal, but it can work. I would put an oscillating stand fan blowing on the stacks to hasten drying.

For even better results you could move the splits up to the main floor and put them in totes or boxes. Not attractive, but more effective in the heated space of the house. In this case, it may help if you are a bachelor.

Not ideal, but it can work. I would put an oscillating stand fan blowing on the stacks to hasten drying.

For even better results you could move the splits up to the main floor and put them in totes or boxes. Not attractive, but more effective in the heated space of the house. In this case, it may help if you are a bachelor.
The wood is not fresh cut. Just not seasoned. Probably cut last spring.

Yes it helps as long as there is air flow inside the stacks. So piles it loose with plenty of air spaces and consider using a fan. Its definitley better than nothing assuming the basement dries out in the winter.

Remember heat is your friend. I’d make a drying room with plastic sheeting to keep the hot air from the dehumidifier from escaping upstairs. An open stacking method held at 70+ degrees 50% or lower HR with a fan to circulate it can work.

Do the math running the dehumidifier at say 8-12 hours a day and see how much that will cost you vs a pallet of sawdust bricks.