dual lines into one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juddspaintballs

Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2010
I'm a little bit hung up here. I'm going with dual 1" PEX lines, and I'm figuring out how to run the lines into a single fitting. From in/out of the boiler will be 1-1/4" black iron. I need a way to go from 1-1/4" to dual 1". I know I could use a reducing tee, but that seems like it would really reduce flow. Can anyone give me a good option? The best I've come up with so far has been a Y branch, but that seems like it would favor one line more than the other.

You could use the "Y" with valves installed after it in each of the 1" lines to even out the flow between the two. More will flow in the line with the least amount of resistance. I think that the total length of each run would have more influence on the flow than the "Y" would.

The dual runs will be of equal length. I like the valve control idea. I'd much rather have an symmetrical Y if available, though I'm still going to add the valves in case I need to shut down one line and still use the other.

MSC has 45 lateral tees (wyes to most of us) in black iron. A 1-1/4" wye with a 1-1/4" street 45 in the lateral branch would get you 1 line in and 2 lines running out in parallel. Put reducing bushings in there to get you to your two 1" fittings.

On the other end you could plumb the lateral to the opposite of the other end. That way each of the 1" lines will be going through one straight branch and one lateral branch. Balanced flow.

Try this link:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000147485996

That link sent me to a general search page, but I understand what you're saying with the description. That is a great idea. I'm also checking with Earth Lee to see if they can build me some symmetrical wyes or if they have a better idea.

You can find them in copper. Maybe buy pex - sweat adapters and build it from copper.

Most times they dual lines are just bull headed into a tee. If you think about it that is how radiant manifolds are built, flow enters into the branch on the return side.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 40.png
    Picture 40.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 206
That would be perfect. How would that take to being sweated onto a threaded adapter and threaded onto black iron (the boiler discharge and return)? Is there any trouble threading copper and black iron together?

I may have found a better solution than all of it. I might just give in and purchase 1-1/4" PEX. It would end up being about $180 more for just the PEX, but I suspect after all of the required fittings to get dual lines into one and the headache involved, the cost would just about even out.

I went with a 1 1/4 tee in the middle and a 1x1 1/4 reducing elbow on both ends for a manafold and had a ball valve on each line. It's worked out for me
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.