Dual sided fireplace/ insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwilkrrs

Feb 15, 2016
Maryland
i have a wood burning fireplace (never used in 11 years I have owned house) and would like to open the backside of the brick fireplace up and add a pellet insert to front the new addition we built. Is this even feasible? I know the structural support needed for the brick opening I just don't know about the fireplace/pellet part

It all hinges on your clearances. You need to maintain minimum distances from combustibles. Once you get that part figured out, simply run a liner up the chimney and you should be good.

So minimum distances for combustibles- what are they? Sorry
So I would have a fireplace one one side an an insert on the other or since I will only use the insert do I do something to fireplace side?
I was thinking something would need to be done to the damper

These minimum distances vary from stove to stove. Personally, I would brick up the fireplace side just so noone is tempted to light a fire there.

Status
Not open for further replies.