dual thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Groom Creeker

Oct 23, 2022
Prescott,az
Iam heating a cabin with a JOTL gas stove utilizing an older 2wire spring thermostat. I wanted to be able to turn on the heat prior to our arrival. I have WIFI. So I purchased a LUX Geo battery operated wifi capable thermostat. I have the old spring thermostat set at 54 degrees to heat the cabin as I have done for 15 years.
I have the LUX wired i parallel and have it set to 45 degrees at all time as a backup and to give me the ability to go into the schedule on the day we are going up and bump the temp up to 70 degrees. So the LUX is basically off until I go in on my iphone App and change to temp on that day. I appears to be working Ok and I have tested it while at the cabin. Iam just hesitant about things when Iam 200 miles away and looking at freezing conditions at the cabin. Has anyone out there any experience with this kind of set up and any knowledge of shortfalls in this. Let me know. Thnaks

I don’t have a good reason for it not to work. I am wanting to try something similar adding a thermostat in my basement in parallel with the first thermostat upstairs. That way if the basement get really cold the heatpump will kick in. Do you have any way to check the inside temperature remotely?

I have no idea, but logic would tell me that I would want a manual over-ride capability on the main system supplemented by an independent secondary system/app that would simply tell me the temperature of the building in order to warn me that I need to manually over-ride. If that makes any sense.