duct fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcatmatt

Oct 21, 2008
Montour Falls NY
Is anyone using a duct fan?
http://www.espenergy.com/in_line_duct_fan.htm

I am having a problem getting heat to the end of my house. My masonry stove works great at heating one end of the house. Its 20 outside and its 72 in my living room.. BUT its 63 at the other end of the house. I put fans up and all but that only raised it a degree. I guess its just too far to push it.

I am thinking of putting a small hole over the stove in the ceiling and running a duct tube to the other end of the house thru the attic and having it come down in my bedroom thru the ceiling. I wouldn't have it on all the time of course, just at night maybe.

Anyone using this type of system to move air to the end of the house?

arcticcatmatt said:
Is anyone using a duct fan?
http://www.espenergy.com/in_line_duct_fan.htm

I am having a problem getting heat to the end of my house. My masonry stove works great at heating one end of the house. Its 20 outside and its 72 in my living room.. BUT its 63 at the other end of the house. I put fans up and all but that only raised it a degree. I guess its just too far to push it.

I am thinking of putting a small hole over the stove in the ceiling and running a duct tube to the other end of the house thru the attic and having it come down in my bedroom thru the ceiling. I wouldn't have it on all the time of course, just at night maybe.

Anyone using this type of system to move air to the end of the house?
Dont sure how much power you need but i am using this one on my system http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Vortex-Centrifugal-Inline-Exhaust-Fan-Duct-Blower_W0QQitemZ150303656800QQcmdZViewItemQQptZHand_Tools_Gear_Equipment?hash=item150303656800&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Have you first tried a simple table fan, placed in the cold area on the floor, blowing air towards the heater? That can work very well in many circumstances.

This sounds like what I did. I have a 1 story ranch house with my stove in my sun room which is located behind what used to be the 3rd bedroom. This room is 85-90 and the living room at the other end of the house is 65. So I cut a hole high in the wall (cathedral ceiling) and ran a insulated duct with a 6" duct fan through the attic into the living room exiting at the floor. IT DID NOTHING. I've thought about putting in a larger fan (my 6" fan is rated at 180 cfm) but I don't know if it is worth it. I am currently using 3 fans to push the warm air and the living room is 73.
I also considered turning my 6" fan around to move the cold air into the stove room.
Lots of ideas, but no action right now.
Smokinj: what type of setup are you using? The fan you are using has a lot higher cfm.

I use a fan to move cold air to my stove but not one of those cheap duct fans but rather an 8" inline cetrifugal fan with speed control.

Those duct fans were intended to boost air that is already being moved by a larger fan.

LLigetfa said:
I use a fan to move cold air to my stove but not one of those cheap duct fans but rather an 8" inline cetrifugal fan with speed control.

Those duct fans were intended to boost air that is already being moved by a larger fan.

Where did you get it from?

I am a University of Oregon Duct fan but wouldn't mind if Oregon State won out and went to the Rose Bowl this year. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.