Dust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StockHR

Jul 12, 2019
Vermont
I clean the ashes out of my stove once a week and I also remove the top plate and “fire brick” panels in the fire box to vacuum out as much ash as I can. I also have the combustion fan running at the same time. The other day my wife mentioned that she is finding an unusual amount of dust everywhere when she is dusting. So I took off the side panels and vacuumed around the convection fan even though there wasn’t much dust.

I was using a flashlight and noticed that in the light ray I could see very fine dust particles floating in the air. I took the flashlight into every room and found the same thing. You don’t see them when the light is off and I can’t say they haven’t always been there but I wonder if and increase in dust in the house is normal with a pellet stove. To combat this problem I turn on the central heating fan and the filter helps to capture a lot of the particles. This is my first year owning a stove and I am just curious what others have experienced. Thanks.

There's no filter on your stove. It takes unfiltered air in and passes it out. Maybe consider getting some sort of separate electric air filter? We have the same problem. I heat my house exclusively withy stove.

We use a good air purifier in the stove room
Even though I use a drywall bag and 2 paper filters on my shop vac
some fine dust still escapes. I now have a hose that runs out a window to
exhaust the vac.
you say you used a flashlight to see the dust have you never seen the dust
floating in the sunlight streaming throw a window. watched it as a kid
Also when you empty a bag of pellets into the hopper you release a far amount
of wood dust

My stove has a manual damper which I open fully when running the exhaust fan while cleaning. If you have a manual damper I’d suggest doing the same to get the most dust suction. Make sure to put it back when restarting the stove.

I had forgotten about the sunlight rays showing the dust , then again it's been along time since I was a kid lol. Our place is pretty tight so the air purifier sounds like a good idea I'll have to look into getting one. Thanks for all the input.