Dutch West

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ethang680

Dec 28, 2021
Cold Spring
I have a Dutch West FA224 Mod 2181 and the bypass rod rod ( threaded version) was rusted in place and inoperable. I need to buy the newer unthreaded version and C clip to retrofit it. Has anyone done this conversion yet and how did it work? I have three questions. 1- As the threaded portion is rusted in place - what diameter should the hole be drilled to? Im assuming approx 5/8 major thread diameter. Question 2- The original rod has a 3/8 inch square end(s) that engaged actual dampener tab/crank inside the stove. The new rod looks like it has a flat on a round end. How does this work? 3) Lastly the original rod is approx 4 1/2 inch long and reference to new replacement rod is 6 1/2? Thank you for any feedback.

Correction Question1- As the threaded portion is rusted in place - what diameter should the hole be drilled to? Im assuming approx 5/8 major thread diameter. I think it should be 5/8th minor thread diameter .51". Thanks

did you read the thread next to yours about the same issue?