DutchWest 2461 Inner Top Web Air Gap between Web and Stove Top???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whereditgo

Oct 25, 2010
CT
Hello All,

My DutchWest 2461 Wood Stove was in dire need of attention (leaking gaskets and creosote build up/clogging).

Removed most of the creosote, cleand flue and stove outlet and replaced gaskets/seals on Side door, Front Door, Ash Pan and Damper.

Re-built the Cat. Replaced Air distributor (part 8 on diagram), Baffle (part 9 on diagram), Interam Gasket (part 54 on diagram). Sure this was due to time/heat (original 20+ year old parts).

When installing the Inner Top Web (part 6 on the diagram) there was a 1/4 gap between the bottom of the Inner Web and the Top of the Inner Top (part 5 on the diagram).

Is this a design feature (blowoff/bypass for the cat) or a warped web (web looked fairly straight, but slightly mis-align on the 45 degree edges)?

I sealed off the gap with gasket/cement and now the cat burns extremely hot with dry/seasoned wood (~1700 degrees).

Stove seems to be working as new other then Cat running very hot (with primary damper slightly cracked open and ~2 turns on Combustor/Cat Air Inlet).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

MAIN_ASSEMBLY_MON-DUTCH2461_1_.jpg

Those 2 gaps are supposed to get tiny interam gaskets but I've been debating just hitting them myself w some furnace cement on my current rebuild

Hello All,

My DutchWest 2461 Wood Stove was in dire need of attention (leaking gaskets and creosote build up/clogging).

Removed most of the creosote, cleand flue and stove outlet and replaced gaskets/seals on Side door, Front Door, Ash Pan and Damper.

Re-built the Cat. Replaced Air distributor (part 8 on diagram), Baffle (part 9 on diagram), Interam Gasket (part 54 on diagram). Sure this was due to time/heat (original 20+ year old parts).

When installing the Inner Top Web (part 6 on the diagram) there was a 1/4 gap between the bottom of the Inner Web and the Top of the Inner Top (part 5 on the diagram).

Is this a design feature (blowoff/bypass for the cat) or a warped web (web looked fairly straight, but slightly mis-align on the 45 degree edges)?

I sealed off the gap with gasket/cement and now the cat burns extremely hot with dry/seasoned wood (~1700 degrees).

Stove seems to be working as new other then Cat running very hot (with primary damper slightly cracked open and ~2 turns on Combustor/Cat Air Inlet).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 275095
I recently rebuilt mine. Are these the gaps you were talking about? (pics below) I was debating sealing them with cement but figured for whatever reason (maybe possible warpage?) the manufacturer called for interam gaskets so that's what I used. My web went across where the damper gasket is perfectly and I got both slots exact same width before tightening the brackets that hold it up.
IMG_20240301_203410_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240301_203433_HDR~2.jpg