Q&A Dutchwest FA264CCLR stove pipes??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am buying this new home where they have this stove but needs fuel pipe replacement. The stove is purchased in 1986-1987 but not used for last 5 years. Does it require any other servicing? I would like to know what size 6" or 8" fuel pipe are recommended for through the wall style chimneys. Also, should they be double-wall or triple-wall? Are they available in lengths of 3' or more? can someone please help me. Thanks in advance.

Answer:

Your Dutchwest model requires a 6" chimney connector, commonly called "stovepipe." It can be connected to a larger chimney flue, as long as the flue's cross-sectional area is not 3 times larger than the stove's flue collar (cast iron section on top of the stove).

Your stove was not listed or approved for double-wall chimney connector. Don't let anyone sell you this because it was not tested, and you may take the chance of having too high a temperature in the flue and connector. Your only course of action is to use a heavy gauge pipe, min. 24 ga., and shield it if necessary. I do believe that 22 ga., heavier pipe, is available in 3' sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.