Dutchwest Federal stove bypass hard to turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
My dad has a Dutchwest Federal stove model number FA267CL. He said that recently the bypass handle is hard to turn to the closed position, and gets worse as the stove gets hot.
He has tried to remove the top in the past and I guess broke some bolts and gave up. I’m wondering if we can access the bypass mechanism through the cat opening. Or if it’s even possible to fix it. I figure maybe it needs some high temp lube.

Anyone worked on one of these stoves before?

Time to retire that one most likely. Commonly it's the inner top that fails, and they haven:t been available for many years like most CDW parts. Get the top off and have a look though, some never-sieze on the damper rod threads might buy some temporary joy.

if you can’t pull it apart, it’s hard to figure out how to fix this. It coukd be needing lube, or have warped parts. On a 30-40 year old stove it could be anything.

Time to retire that one most likely. Commonly it's the inner top that fails, and they haven:t been available for many years like most CDW parts. Get the top off and have a look though, some never-sieze on the damper rod threads might buy some temporary joy.
i have a CDW/vermont castings seneca. similar internals. the original bypass handle rod was threaded. those failed due to the threads rusting and the rod not operating. the replacement rod is smooth and c-clipped. the inner top and parts continue to be available, but because of broken bolts and age and repair needs, most likely should replace with similar or other.

Ok thanks guys. My dad really likes this stove, so he either wants to fix this one or buy another used one in better shape. He says he has another similar stove in the barn that can maybe be used for parts. It’s the same style, but with a smaller side door.

I’ve looked around on CL and FBM for similar stoves. Seems like there are a few out there, but all are a couple hundred miles away. Maybe one will pop up closer to upstate NY (Syracuse/Watertown area).

I want to remove the top from the stove to inspect the bypass linkage. It has 4 bolts holding it on with little tabs on the top. One of the bolts is already broken, and has been for years.
I’ve read of a few people who just set the top on after reinstalling. With just gravity holding it. I mean, it’s at least 100 lbs of cast iron.

Looking at the other 3 bolts, I might break all 3 trying to get them out. I’m not sure if an easy out would work in this situation.

I have some time to work on the stove now. My dad only uses it seasonally. So it will be cold until April now. Thinking I should spray some Kroil on those bolts....

Yeah I love Kroil. I work in aviation maintenance and that’s what we use.