Dutchwest secondary air setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pine Knot

Nov 10, 2007
Southwest Virginia
A question for Dutchwest cat stove owners, what setting of the secondary air control gives you the longest, cleanest burn of the cat? While testing after installing a new cat I found settings below one turn open resulted in the cat not staying lite for very long. A setting of one and one fourth turns open seems to be giving good results. Any thoughts?

I think that it would depend on many factors - most beyond the control and capability of the user. These include the chimney draft, the wood species, how low the stove is being run, the exact point in the burn, etc.

That is probably why manual controls for secondary air are rare or non-existent these days. In your case, if you are getting decent results that says it all.

I used the DW for 15 years. You need to adjust the air for your set up chimney draft and air pressure .Once its set you mite have to adjust for the type of wood I had a long chimney and live 3/4 of the way up a mountain and used about 1/2 a turn of the knob .You need to fill the stove and watch the thermometer to get the hotest burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.