DV fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
We moved into a downsized place a year ago. There was an old Majestic Zero Clearance FP and a PO had converted it to gas by adding a 40 kbtu gas log. Last season we never turned it on as with the pinned damper it was a pretty picture, but 40 kbtu up the pipe. It is very common on these 80’s houses to build a 2x4 framed chimney into which these ZCFP’s were installed. I found probably the last of the Rinnai 750 fireplaces to install. It was a bit dicey cutting the FP out with two stories worth of chimney overhead and working alone, but I was able to handle it safely. The Rinnai is low 80’s efficiency wise with a programmable stat build in, modulating was from 5000-30,000 btu and a modulating and quiet fan. The remote is kinda wonky, but we have it figured out. We haven’t run the oversized central furnace since installing this thing. One of the things I most appreciate on this is the vent is small and right out the back. I intend to open the wall in the 2nd story bedroom and frame in a closet space in the abandoned 2x4 chimney chase. Can’t have enough storage space and the chase is empty, so , why not? Anyway, it has been an excellent addition to the house. The direct vent termination pictured is 5.5” in diameter.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Reactions: Lennox65