dying/staining mortar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
when we installed our fireplace 15 months ago, we hired a mason to do the stone work. now that our upstairs remodeling is complete and we're settling in, we've noticed that we have three different mortar colors (3 shades of grey, if you will). this is surely the result of doing the stone work in three separate days.

so, my question is has anyone tried dying/staining their mortar lines?

do you think we'd be able to get the three areas to match, or would we be stuck with two matching and the other being the oddball; or, could we apply the stain multiple times to the lightest color mortar and hope it keeps darkening until it reaches the level of the other ones?

the mason that did our work is MIA/ non-responsive, so that's out.

sorry about the crappy picture. but, i think it shows the different colors okay enough. dark on top, light on bottom.

IMG_1646.JPG

do you think the concrete stain, if applied to all 3 mortar colors, will result in the same final color?
No it likely won't. If your talking acid stain the it colors by reaction. Unless every mix was the same your color will vary. It turns out great when done right but clean up is a mother! After the stain has reacted it has to be washed off . I've never done mortar joints but flat surfaces was a pain enough. I like the current look!

Last edited:
We just had the same problem on our 100 year old fireplace. Our contractor refaced the entire thing, and guess what? Different colors of mortar were used. We made them repoint the brick that was done first to get the colors right - they still came out different colors so now we're going to have to have them repoint the entire thing because it looks stupid. If it keeps going like this I'll just have them chisel it and repoint it myself.

I would suggest talking to your mason and asking them to resolve it. If they are reputable I would think they wouldn't charge you since they did it wrong to start with.

If you re-point color the mortar rather than stain. Even on a single pour acid stain will vary in color.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Can you clarify?
If you end up repointing I would use a mix in color or pre-colored.

Staining after the fact produces variations in color. Basically acid stain reacts with the lime in the mortar which is not always evenly distributed throughout. If your trying to fix color variations I don't think stain is the way to go as it will still vary.

If you end up repointing I would use a mix in color or pre-colored.

Staining after the fact produces variations in color. Basically acid stain reacts with the lime in the mortar which is not always evenly distributed throughout. If your trying to fix color variations I don't think stain is the way to go as it will still vary.

Ah yes. That is why we're going the route of repointing everything - to get an even color. Which is what I was suggesting the OP discuss with their mason.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Why was the stone work done over a 3 day period? Also why not drystack the veneers?
As for color variations, inconsistencies in mix, if bagged premix was used it should be from same run/batch. Water content used, to much in some and to little in others from the image. Acid wont help. The fix, remove mortar and redo joints. Your 'mason' wasn't a mason.

when we installed our fireplace 15 months ago, we hired a mason to do the stone work. now that our upstairs remodeling is complete and we're settling in, we've noticed that we have three different mortar colors (3 shades of grey, if you will). this is surely the result of doing the stone work in three separate days.

so, my question is has anyone tried dying/staining their mortar lines?

do you think we'd be able to get the three areas to match, or would we be stuck with two matching and the other being the oddball; or, could we apply the stain multiple times to the lightest color mortar and hope it keeps darkening until it reaches the level of the other ones?

the mason that did our work is MIA/ non-responsive, so that's out.

sorry about the crappy picture. but, i think it shows the different colors okay enough. dark on top, light on bottom.

View attachment 192570
I like it the way it is. If you can, try to not think about it. Your setup looks great to me, although admittedly the picture is not great.

What about just painting the whole thing, stone and mortar. White might look nice?

if it was me and i HAD to try something, i'd buy some grout sealer which is clear and mix some stain in it and apply it to each grout line with a paint or foam brush. I never tried it but i dont see why it wouldnt work.

I'm no mason but a quick google shows people 'bleaching' grout to lighten it. Could the darker areas be bleached to lighten them up,to match? Do a test in a small inconspicuous spot first?

If I were to the point of re-pointing I would be experimenting with a few things. If the grout hasn't been sealed there are many things that can be mixed to a watery consistency which will stain it. Regular old ash will darken it, grout stain will as well.

Well, I've used this on mortar, and it works to darken it. Wasn't trying to accomplish what you're trying to do though. I disagree with @fishki that an acid cleaner won't help if it's a grout issue; it may, depending on what the cause is of the color variation.