E-Classic is hooked up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ctdeer said:
If you dont mind me asking, why did you switch from the 5036?

I was having too much trouble with smoke. I attributed this to the smaller amount of water storage in the unit among other things. The E-classic more than doubles the storage - meaning I can go for a few days between firing for summer DHW - primarily. It burns noticeably cleaner.

The 5036 was a nice stove - but my neighbors are close enough that I have to be careful.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Pete -

I'm not sure if you ever ran the GW for summer DHW production, but if you did, how would you compare wood consumption?

Jimbo

I did run it for awhile into warmer weather in the spring and found I was feeding it almost as much as winter - perhaps once a day rather than two. I am now able to go about three days between loadings for DHW. The water storage in the CB let's me do that.

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Pete -

I'm not sure if you ever ran the GW for summer DHW production, but if you did, how would you compare wood consumption?

Jimbo

I did run it for awhile into warmer weather in the spring and found I was feeding it almost as much as winter - perhaps once a day rather than two. I am now able to go about three days between loadings for DHW. The water storage in the CB let's me do that.

I should add that I am only filling the CB firebox half full of wood. I suppose if I did it all the way I could get the 5-6 days like the fellow above notes.

I should note that the reason I have the firebox filled to the top is because I am burning GREEN wood. It was cut less than 30 days ago. This gives the wood time to dry out before it gets to the bottom and into the reaction chamber. The E-Classic is said to like seasoned wood, but I am saving the seasoned wood for the winter when the furnace will go through it faster, and have less time to dry it out before being used. This stove doesn't actually have a fire in it....the top of the stove is cool and the very bottom would melt your hand off.

Who doctor -

Just read your post from the other site - very good information. After reading it, I am guessing that the air pule feature is only one available on the dual fuel model. Mine is wood only - minimal controls.

I have been having to relight the fire when I need to get the jacket temp back up for hot water. Oh well - not that hard to do.

Pete

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
I have been having to relight the fire when I need to get the jacket temp back up for hot water. Oh well - not that hard to do.

Pete

Pete - some clarification if ya don't mind . . .

Are you saying every 2-3 days you do a half load, but intrmitantly you 'restart' the fire?

If so, what do you mean by 'restart'?

Jimbo

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Pete Antos-Ketcham said:

Pete

Pete - some clarification if ya don't mind . . .

Are you saying every 2-3 days you do a half load, but intrmitantly you 'restart' the fire?

If so, what do you mean by 'restart'?

Jimbo

Yes - I put in wood to fill the firebox half-way on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Between those times if my DHW demand is low, the fire goes out. So I stick a piece of newspaper in and light it when I see the jacket temp getting low, light it, and away it goes. Sounds like the dual fuel model lets you fine tune the air program so as to avoid this. So far I have been very happy with the exception of the relighting - but it is not that hard and it lets me see where the fuel supply stands.

Pete

Hey Pete, I am not 100% certain if this is ONLY available on the dual fuel, but that was my understanding. It sounds like you are confirming this. I paid the extra $1,500 because, truth be told, sometime I just don't have the time to relight it....even thought it take 5 mins to walk out there with a couple of sheets of newspaper. How do you like your stove so far?

With that one exception of the relighting thing, I think it is a great stove. The smoke is much less. All the controls and access points are easy to get at and understand. Probably should have got the dual fuel, but I was concerned how much gas it might use.

Pete

Less smoke than the GW? or the old CB?

What about rigging a timer so that, say, every three hours, the fan comes on for 5 minutes or so just to keep the fire going? I have seen times where if I overfill the GW on a warm day, the flap will stay closed so long that the fire will go out.

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.