EAB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been a problem here for a while now. They hang these purple box traps all over. Bugs fly, a quarantine on moving wood didn't help much here. If you have ash trees, these bugs make "D" shaped holes, they are worm like until they are adults but are pretty small, house fly size but skinnier and are really green. If you see woodpeckers, the tree may be infected as they like to eat the bugs. Our township came out and treated trees by pouring crap on the trunks but it's bad here and isn't getting better, majority of our trees are ash. Here's the article about PA.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/greenliving/Voracious-emerald-ash-borer-now-in-.html

I live in Bucks County and since it wasn't anywhere near us, they think it was transported by firewood. With NJ literally across the street from me (less than a mile over the river) it's only a matter of time before they are hit hard too.

Here's a picture we took after Sandy in our neighbors tree that fell and we were cutting up.

image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and zap
It's up here Jenni. (Ulster/Orange/Sullivan county NY) Just starting but I've seen the traps, and the infested trees. You're right, the quarantines are just a pain in the ass for firewood cutters ($4/gal gas does a much better job of keeping us from transporting wood long distances.... ;)) and do very little to stop the infestation. Kinda like some other laws that we won't discuss. ::P

I read a report that said they seem to be spreading by major highways. The adults are getting caught in the grills of transport trucks. We have them pretty bad in Ottawa. Two huge ash trees near my yard had to be taken down by the city. I got some of the wood.

Reactions: ScotO
There is no stopping them. Bottom line is they came in from importing goods from China.......
The Asian ash can recover from the damage they inflict. The American ash cannot. Reminds us of the devestation that came with the importation of Chinese chestnuts back in the late 1800's/early 1900's.....that brought with it the chestnut blight and it anihilated the American Chestnut tree to almost total extinction.

Just as the Dutch Elm Disease wiped out a huge portion of the elm that once stood on this continent.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

Reactions: jeff_t
There is some kind of fungus wiping out ash in the UK and Denmark that also came from Asia. It rots out the center of the tree, making it unusable for firewood. We have the pine borer expanding its territory because winters are warmer. Then we have the beech bark disease spreading too.

Status
Not open for further replies.