Earth bermed chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hobbit Man

Oct 3, 2022
ontario
Hello all.

I am building an earth sheltered Hobbit Home, and would like to have a wood burning stove in there.
Thinking of building a Rocket Mass Heater, as the one i had in my shed would heat the shed for 3 days on 3, 5 gallon pails of wood.
Problem is, i do not want to put the chimney through the roof ( and all the waterproofing and insulation ) and the location in the home will not reach the only exposed front wall, so it has too be through the side wall...

Is there a way for me to put in a mini window well arrangement for the outdoor portion of the chimney and have it exit through the side wall earth berm ?

There probably is a way as long as leaves and windblown debris can be kept out. The main issue could be poor draft with two 90º turns going into a short chimney.

Hello all.

I am building an earth sheltered Hobbit Home, and would like to have a wood burning stove in there.
Thinking of building a Rocket Mass Heater, as the one i had in my shed would heat the shed for 3 days on 3, 5 gallon pails of wood.
Problem is, i do not want to put the chimney through the roof ( and all the waterproofing and insulation ) and the location in the home will not reach the only exposed front wall, so it has too be through the side wall...

Is there a way for me to put in a mini window well arrangement for the outdoor portion of the chimney and have it exit through the side wall earth berm ?
Just build a masonry chimney with an insulated stainless liner

Just build a masonry chimney with an insulated stainless liner
Problem is, the building plans are engineered, building permit issued, hole is dug, and survey completed, not going to backpedal and try to add another item to the home this late in the process.

Building inspector agrees that there are ways to do it... just looking for alternatives...

Problem is, the building plans are engineered, building permit issued, hole is dug, and survey completed, not going to backpedal and try to add another item to the home this late in the process.

Building inspector agrees that there are ways to do it... just looking for alternatives...
How is the chimney addressed in the plans

There probably is a way as long as leaves and windblown debris can be kept out. The main issue could be poor draft with two 90º turns going into a short chimney.
Agreed.
The Rocket Stove has a pretty good draft - sounds like a rocket from across the room , so draft may not be an issue - just thinking about the outside cleanout "T" - i guess it can be brushed out from the top down ?

How is the chimney addressed in the plans
It's not. i called the building inspector and confirmed it with him - if i make a chimney buck too fit into the poured concrete wall, after the wall is poured, i can install the chimney / woodstove.

I just need to make sure i leave enough clearance for code compliance, and of course - i need to find someone to w.e.t.t. certify a Rocket Mass Heater.

It's not. i called the building inspector and confirmed it with him - if i make a chimney buck too fit into the poured concrete wall, after the wall is poured, i can install the chimney / woodstove.

I just need to make sure i leave enough clearance for code compliance, and of course - i need to find someone to w.e.t.t. certify a Rocket Mass Heater.
I don't understand the difference between adding a prefab chmey vs a masonry one to the plan if it's not there. But yes you can build a well for the chimney with drainage etc. It's just much easier with masonry

I am guessing that a masonry chimney is fairly heavy, and close to if not attached to the house footing / wall, so the plans would have to be redrawn, re-engineered, and the permit re-evaluated.
Went with a concrete buck, just too bypass all the red tape, and the 10,000$ fees.

I am guessing that a masonry chimney is fairly heavy, and close to if not attached to the house footing / wall, so the plans would have to be redrawn, re-engineered, and the permit re-evaluated.
Went with a concrete buck, just too bypass all the red tape, and the 10,000$ fees.
But a prefab chimney would have to be on the plans as well. Atleast it would be here for new construction

I am finding that alot with this build....
Had a few people act very surprised and tell me " they are letting you build that ? "
Keep the build inspector happy and it goes alot smoother. :)
Worst case scenario, is i have a 10 inch chimney hole with no chimney...

How far from the ceiling should the chimney be from the exposed post and beam roof ?

I am finding that alot with this build....
Had a few people act very surprised and tell me " they are letting you build that ? "
Keep the build inspector happy and it goes alot smoother. :)
Worst case scenario, is i have a 10 inch chimney hole with no chimney...

How far from the ceiling should the chimney be from the exposed post and beam roof ?
The chimney typically needs 2" clearance to combustibles. The connector pipe usually needs either 6" or 9" above it depending upon the manufacturer

The connector pipe usually needs either 6" or 9" above it depending upon the manufacturer
If double-wall. If the connector is single-wall then it is 18" typically. A rocket stove might have the connector built in, internally.

If double-wall. If the connector is single-wall then it is 18" typically. A rocket stove might have the connector built in, internally.
Correct I should have been more clear

Thanks for the info. with an 8 foot ceiling, i should be able to put in the chimney buck 18 inches from the top of the wall easily enough.