Earth Stove 1800ht information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daleeper

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2006
NC MO
Hello

I have been looking for a replacement stove for our old pre-epa stove (hoping to find something inexpensive, I have more patience than money), and ran across an Earth Stove 1800ht made in 1995, at what I believe may be a reasonable price. I came home to do a little research on this stove and can find nothing. I had no luck with the search function, so if anyone has one of these stoves, I would like to know how you like it. It is a little smaller than what I really want, but the current stove, an older Earth Stove, is really too big for the room it is in.

I would like to see a manual on it, and the Lennox site does not have it (at least I can't find it). Anyone have this scanned somewhere I haven't found yet?

Are parts still available for this stove? I'm sure it needs some firebrick, but I am assuming they are pretty much off the shelf. The secondary tubes have some rust, are these special to the stove, or can they be replaced from another model or fabricated?

Is it worth the trouble to change stoves, as the one I have currently still works well, it gets too hot in the room it's in, and have difficulty in moving the heat to other parts of the house.

Thanks for any information you folks can give me.

What is the price of the stove and what is the size of the space you want to heat? Have you checked with your local Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have any Englanders or Centurys left? That may be a much better deal and it's a new stove. Call asap, they're going fast.

does it look like this one leeper? it is a 2800ht, if it does i'll see if i can scan the manual for ya.

Attachments

• Earth Stove 1800ht information
    stove1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,268
BeGreen:

"What is the price of the stove and what is the size of the space you want to heat? Have you checked with your local Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have any Englanders or Centurys left? That may be a much better deal and it’s a new stove. Call asap, they’re going fast."

They are asking $300, but am planning to offer less. I have been to the "local" HD and Lowes, Sutherlands, Menards, and have not found anything left.

As to the size and space, our house is a ranch style house with full basement that measures 28' x 48' (1344 sq. ft.). The stove is in the basement, setting in my office/work room that is 24' x 18', setting very near the center of the house. We are trying to keep the use of the propane furnace as little as possible, therefore we have been running the wood stove 24-7 through the coldest part of winter. It has been burning since the early December cold snap. When we built the house, I thought having the stove in the basement was a good thing, that heat will rise. The good threads in this forum have explained to me why this is not working.

Anyway, I have been keeping my eyes open for a newer stove, with the idea that it would be more efficient, less smoke. I really didn't think this old stove smoked that much, but am having some buildup of creosote, the black sticky kind. I have had it cleaned, but would like to upgrade stoves sometime and keep the creosote buildup down.

Bruce

"does it look like this one leeper? it is a 2800ht, if it does i’ll see if i can scan the manual for ya."

The one I am looking at is a freestanding stove, but the inside looks the same. I finally found the manuals on the Lennox site, but had to change web browsers to access them. Thanks for the offer of scanning it though. They have the 2800ht, 1400ht, 1500ht and the 1900ht-m, but not the 1800ht manuals posted. I am guessing operations is most like the 2800ht. If anyone could confirm which stove is most like the 1800ht, it would help me a great deal.

Bruce, how do you like that stove? Are you getting good long secondary burns with it? Have you used another, in particular pre-epa stoves to compare it with?

Thanks for the help.

Bruce, how do you like that stove? Are you getting good long secondary burns with it? Have you used another, in particular pre-epa stoves to compare it with?

leeper, i have been very happy with this stove but it is the only stove i've used. i get good burn times with good wood.
bruce

Has anyone else got mid 90's earth stove experience to tell me if there were any particular problems with these stoves?

This stove (1800ht) really fits my install well with clearances, looks pretty decent, and fits my budget. I have looked for the lowes, HD, and other stores. They all have their stoves sold or sent back in our area.

Ive got an early 90s BV4000C

like Bruce's Stove, except catalytic.

Ive got a PDF document that lists specs for wood stoves

it lists:

1400HT
1900HT
1500HT
1003C
BV400C
BV4000C
2800HT

I dont find a 1800HT either.

the tubes could be fabbed, how well can you weld stainless? would be simple, and scrap materials likely for a good fab shop.
bricks should be available easily. door gaskets are commonly available as well.

daleeper said:
Has anyone else got mid 90's earth stove experience to tell me if there were any particular problems with these stoves?

This stove (1800ht) really fits my install well with clearances, looks pretty decent, and fits my budget. I have looked for the lowes, HD, and other stores. They all have their stoves sold or sent back in our area.

Status
Not open for further replies.