Earth Stove 2800HT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd0060

Nov 17, 2018
Louisiana
Fire goes out when I close the door and the primary air control doesn’t seem to let any air in sonthat the only way to burn wood is with door open. The startup air control open and closes but doesn’t prevent the fire from going out.

Could something be clogged on the air intake? Looking underneath and see nothing to be able to inspect. Thank you.

Have you resolved your problem? I'm having the same problem with an 1800ht which best I can tell has the same controls as the 2800. The primary air control on my stove moves so freely that I'm thinking it is not hooked up. As far as the start up control, I read in the manual that start up air enters the stove at the rear of the firebox. Could this be the two holes in the back wall of the stove, and is it possible they are clogged?

Welcome to the forums eieiow you would get more responses if you posted your problem in the woodstove section of the forums. ;)

Earth Stove 1800ht poor draft problem resolved!

Keep in mind that my stove is an 1800ht pedestal stove that has the same draft operation as the OP's 2800ht stove which is an insert. Therefore, inspecting the controls on a 2800 may be a little different procedure than those described below.

The start up control rod runs to the back of the stove. You can see a little door open and close when you work the control rod. Gotta lay on the floor and look up in the back of the stove to see this. Mine had a gasket that was deteriorated and sticking which kept the draft closed. I removed the gasket and now have air draft with the start up control. This air enters the stove via the two holes seen inside the back of the stove. If these holes are plugged, there will be no airflow. Easy way to check for air flow is to use a vacuum, paper towel and smoke, like incense. Plug one of the holes with the paper towel. Put the vacuum hose on the other hole, open the start up control and hold the smoke near the little door on the back of the stove. The vacuum will pull smoke into the channel if its not obstructed. Plug the other hole and repeat. My stove holes were not plugged. I'm planning to leave the gasket off if the fire burns fine without it. Don't see this gasket is listed anywhere as a replacement part, but it's like the same cerawool type material used under the marble inserts.

The primary air control didn't seem to be working because there was no resistance or noise when moving the rod back and forth. The reason for this is ash had fallen into the control. Way to check this is to remove the two sheet metal screws that attach a box covering the control. Once the box is removed, you will see the control moves a plate over a triangular hole. This hole provides air to the bottom front of the firebox via a 1/4 inch hole. It also provides air to the top front of the firebox for an air wash over the glass door. Anyway, there was ash plugging the 1/4 inch hole. Vacuumed ash out of that hole and the triangular hole. Finally reversed vacuum hose where it blows air and shot air into the triangular hole (do this with door and start up control closed because ash will fly) and now have air with the primary air control.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forums eieiow you would get more responses if you posted your problem in the woodstove section of the forums. ;)

Oh, I see that now. Thanks for the welcome and heads-up, Ssyko. I was just responding to OP's question found with a search engine and didn't notice which section this was in.

Thanks for the detailed report. I moved this to the main hearth forum.

It's not a good idea to leave the gasket off the startup air control. Air leakage could lead to a hard to control fire and possible overfiring of the insert when conditions are right.

Did you take any pictures of these control valves and flaps while working on them?

Thanks for the detailed report. I moved this to the main hearth forum.

It's not a good idea to leave the gasket off the startup air control. Air leakage could lead to a hard to control fire and possible overfiring of the insert when conditions are right.

Did you take any pictures of these control valves and flaps while working on them?
I'll be glad to post some pics a little later. I'm off work today and precious daylight is awasting!

I'll be glad to post some pics a little later. I'm off work today and precious daylight is awasting!
Here are some pics. The first pic is the start up door at the back of the stove. It is the rusted rectangular steel at the end of the control rod. Open this door and feel where the door would mate up with the air channel. My gasket was stuck to this air channel, choking off all air, whether the door was open or not. This opening and gasket are 1" x 2". The second pic shows the triangular primary air control intake hole on the bottom front of the stove with the cover box removed. Vacuum this opening. The third pic shows the rectangular section with the 1/4 inch hole in the bottom front center of the firebox. Vacuum this hole out as it's prone to fill with ash and choke off some of the primary air.
20190121_171707.jpg
20190121_171625.jpg
20190123_195907.jpg