Earth Stove Bayview 4000C Stove Interior Metal Type?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sleewok

Jan 27, 2021
USA
Hey there! I'm new to the wood stove scene. I recently purchased a used Earth Stove BV4000C and didn't realize what I was getting myself into. The catalytic baffle is warped and I'm going to have a new flat plate welded in.

I have two questions:

1) My model is the one that had the 2" Combustor. Would there be any issues with converting it to one that can handle the 3" (by moving the stops)?

2) Does anyone know what type of steel/metal the interior of this stove is? The welder I am in contact with requested that information.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have been running the exact stove for over 20 years now and I love it. Is it the baffle/cat housing that is warped? If so, you can order a new housing and cat for it. My housing too is warped but I have managed to make it work without replacing it (the housing).
as for what type of metal, I have no idea. As for the cat, I replaced mine with a metal cat a couple years back and have been very pleased. Due to the warped housing, it was a bit of a challenge but I made it work. These stoves throw a lot of heat but as with any stove, particularly those with cats, dry wood is a must.
Also, check the fan to make sure it is functioning properly. I replaced my fan assembly three years ago and it is relatively easy to do if need be.

Reactions: sleewok
I have been running the exact stove for over 20 years now and I love it. Is it the baffle/cat housing that is warped? If so, you can order a new housing and cat for it. My housing too is warped but I have managed to make it work without replacing it (the housing).
as for what type of metal, I have no idea. As for the cat, I replaced mine with a metal cat a couple years back and have been very pleased. Due to the warped housing, it was a bit of a challenge but I made it work. These stoves throw a lot of heat but as with any stove, particularly those with cats, dry wood is a must.
Also, check the fan to make sure it is functioning properly. I replaced my fan assembly three years ago and it is relatively easy to do if need be.

I've attached a photo of the baffle inside the stove that is warped. It is pretty bad. It is warped at the rear where the damper is, as well as across the front where the cat inserts. I could probably get the cat to fit in the front, which isn't warped that badly. However, I am concerned that the damper won't seal off enough at the rear now.

I don't have the cat housing and will have to order the 3" version (the only one that I can find). I plan to modify the stops so that it can handle the 3". Do you happen to have the link to the metal cat you purchased? I was considering one, but I need the housing and I am unable to find that sold by itself (I am only able to find it in combination with the cat).

The fans are functioning, but definitely need a thorough cleaning. I'll have to see how much air they put out after cleanup.

baffle.jpg