Earth stove clearance and building of hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holmes200

Nov 6, 2008
Western Washington
I want to install an older earth stove in my small space that used to houses a open front fireplace insert. The space is a bump out on an exterior wall that measures 36x53 R/O. The existing chimney is double walled and in good shape. I plan on using concrete to construct the walls, lid and bottom of this enclosure. My stove is 26'' in width. Stove will sit halfway inside this enclosure and half in the room.
The way I figure it, if I space my concrete 1'' from framing on all sides I will have 13.5'' from the stove to framing and after my 1'' space and 3'' of concrete. I will be 8.5'' from the inside face of concrete to stove on both sides and an even greater distance from the back of the stove. Will this work for clearance issues?
My second question is this.
When placing the base (3''-4'' concrete) of this enclosure on on the wood framed sub floor. Do I need space between the concrete and sub floor or can it be placed directly on the sub floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.