Earth Stove model 201/202

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

windwalker

Jan 27, 2023
Usa
Hi everyone, new here and hoping to find some answers on an old Earth Stove 201/202. It's been sitting in my basement for years and I want to use it to replace a very old, worn out stove. The Earth Stove is in great shape. The problem is that it appears to be a fireplace insert. I want to use it as a free-standing unit. The exhaust at the top of it is rectangle, 16" x 4.5". I would somehow need to transition this into round pipe. I am currently using 8" pipe for my stove. I've not found any exact matcher for any type of transition piece. I pretty good at fabrication, so I think if I used something like a Buck Stove stack, I could get that to work. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? Obviously, safety is my priority, so I want to make sure it is correct, if it is even possible.
The other concern is making sure it has sufficient draft.
Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

The stove is designed and tested to be used as an insert. It must be installed in a fireplace. Otherwise, it is a code and insurance red flag.
From the manual:
Install only in masonry fireplaces, built to UBC
37 or ULC S628 standards or A factory built
fireplace built to UL 127 or ULC S610 stan-
dards.

Hi begreen, thanks for the reality check. Guess I was hoping beyond hope for a different answer. Had to go back to cutting and burning wood this winter because, like so many people right now, this economy has really stresses our finances. I had to retire last year for health reasons, so just trying to navigate my way through this situation. I'll try to find an affordable stove.

Best regards,

Windwalker

If the insert is in great condition it may bring $200 with the right buyer.