Eastern Embers Pellets: 2018/19

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneR34

Sep 19, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Just curious if those who use these (I'm in Atlantic Canada) have noticed a quality change this season?

I've had to run my auger at a lower feed rate to get the same flame of previous years at a higher feed rate (been using these pellets for about 10 seasons now).

And...I've had a bad flame that I can't correct either. The flame, at higher settings, seems to hit the back of the stove and "swirl" around the pellet outlet, rather than that good "torch" action. After a deep cleaning, and even a new burn pot liner last week, same problems.

So, it's either a problem with the air or the pellet. Haven't ruled out either yet. Although, the air flow coming in/out seems fine, it's almost like there's a circulation issue inside the stove.

EDIT: I did pick up some Canwick pellets today to try. They always burned pretty good in my EF3 during previous seasons, just not as good as the EEs.

Last edited:
I've not noticed any difference in EE this year. They are not my first choice for pellets - I prefer Cozys - but the EEs this year seem to be burning about the same as other years.

Reactions: ShaneR34
Using a different pellet but I have noticed a lot more metal deposits in my burn pan this year. Seems like heavier soot deposits in burn pan as well. Gets worse the lower down the skid of pellets I go

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I’ve been burning EEs for several years and I haven’t really noticed any difference this year. I find that generally they seem to be fairly consistent from year to year. If your stove is a Harman I would take a close look at the hopper gasket to make sure you have a tight seal there.

Sorry I should’ve read your post more closely, I see you have an EF3. I’m not familiar with that particular stove so not sure if the hopper gasket is critical to a proper burn like on a Harman.

When was the last time you pulled the fake brick panels off
and cleaned the passage from the front of the stove to the
air adjustment slide plate ? That Y channel tens to plug with
ash and reduce air flow for combustion

When was the last time you pulled the fake brick panels off
and cleaned the passage from the front of the stove to the
air adjustment slide plate ? That Y channel tens to plug with
ash and reduce air flow for combustion

Was cleaned at the beginning of the season...I do that every fall. I can't figure out why I'm having the issues that I am, but I have it burning acceptably (for the most part), so I'll let it go until the season is over and do a teardown/clean again.

From what i have seen arond the forums is that the general consensus of pellets this year has been that alot of them are dirty and more ash than in the past. So your stove may need to be cleaned out more often than once a year. Mine gets a thorough every month regardless.

I agree with most the quality of the pellets are not as good. I’ve burnt ee all winter so far and I find them burning much faster and a ton more ash. Switch to cozy comfy this week and find them to be much better.

Thanks for the comments guys (I have a habit of not popping in here too often...sorry).

I'll have a well behaving stove for a little while now, anyway....seems to be a pellet shortage in the area now. Next year, I don't care what I need to do, I'm making room to store a season's supply once again. In the last few years I haven't been able to do so, but the last 2 of 3 seasons there's been a shortage...can't deal with this again.

That said, electric isn't going to cost me THAT much more....the prices have come closer to parity the last 5 years.

Reactions: Pellettec
Hi Shane

Totally agree with you quality and quantity of pellets here has been terrible this year.

I also burn canwick as my preferred pellet but the fire at there plant stopped production for a while and I’ve had to burn alternatives

Crabbe pellets seem to be the worst at the moment around here

Next year I’ll be stocking up too