Easy alternatives to auto backup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Jul 7, 2008
Western MA
www.penfrydd.com
I'm putting in a Tarm solo 40. I already have oil hot water heat. According to a local tarm owner, the hassle is tying the two systems together.

Since I'll likely just shut the oil boiler off unless I go away during the winter, is there any reason I can't just valve the oil boiler off and just tie in with the tarm to the heat loop.

Will it save me any install money to do this?

Thanks,

penfrydd

penfrydd said:
I'm putting in a Tarm solo 40. I already have oil hot water heat. According to a local tarm owner, the hassle is tying the two systems together.

Since I'll likely just shut the oil boiler off unless I go away during the winter, is there any reason I can't just valve the oil boiler off and just tie in with the tarm to the heat loop.

Will it save me any install money to do this?

Thanks,

penfrydd

Are you saying that you have two different oil burners, one in your boiler and one for the DHW tank? If so, and you don''t mind continuing to use oil for DHW, then yes you should be able to just valve off the oil burner as you suggested. If your oil boiler makes your DHW as well, then obviously you will have to come up with some sort of alternative way of heating the DHW.

However, everything I've seen here suggests that it isn't that hard to have the oil and the wood boilers piped in parallel, and leave the oil boiler turned on at a very low thermostat setting - this gives you an automatic failsafe if you don't have the wood boiler running as much as you'd like. If you have the wood burning the house never cools down. Loose the fire, and things cool down, then the oil burner will kick in to keep the pipes from freezing...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.