Easy to build project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roospike

Nov 19, 2005
Eastern Nebraska
Here is an easy to build project i came up with i thought some one would like to try.
I was asked from the school for an easy to build project that had to do with "accessories".

So when in the shop i came up with a "coal/ash rake" for a wood stove that didn't require any welding. Normally I weld and fabricate them and heat and bend my own handles.
I bought one cheap fireplace poker that had screwed ends on it and took off the poker end ,
I then bought a BBQ spatula with a stainless steel base and cut the head off of it ,
took the screen end and cut it in half to have fingers , smoothed all the edges down after the cuts.
Drilled a hole in the spatula the size of the poker rod and then bolted it togother.

TA-DA , stove coal/ash rake.

O'Yeah BTW , And another chance to show off the Pacific Energy Summit again. ;-)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,119
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,134
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,144
Yeah, that works. Nice idea Roo.

LOL at the stoves that require an ash rake :)

Nice idea Spike. How long them split been in that stove? from the look of em...bout 3 weeks?

Re easy project. Thanks Roo, I have been needing something like that for my tiny Jotul.

Dylan said:
tradergordo said:
Dylan said:
Pic #3 sure provides testimony of PE's air wash.

Either that or he cleaned the glass before taking pictures this time ;)

Yes, I just that today was a good day to give a disengenuous compliment.

As per Picture #3, The brown on the left corner is on the brick and not the glass if anybody was wondering , I can go about 1 week on cleaning the glass but being picky about it i normally do it every other day or every third day , as shown in the picture .... this would be day #2 around 44 hours ? non stop burning sense the glass was cleaned. ( Thanks Dylan )

Warren said:
Nice idea Spike. How long them split been in that stove? from the look of em...bout 3 weeks?

Yeah buddy , u know it. ;-)

babalu87 said:
LOL at the stoves that require an ash rake :)
That would be the only stove tool i use . No poker , no shovel / no bucket .
Working on training the Summit to clean its self but it likes the attention.

I thought this would be a neat idea project to post here as not every one has access to a welder and a coal/ash rake is not very common with hearth tools , they do have them in a set tho, but like me not every body needs a whole set of tools to get one ash/coal rake. Its also a cool little DIY project.

Nice idea Roo I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.