Eating crow..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
After further experiments with my BKK I have come to the conclusion that my stove will consume more wood with the fans on also.

Took me awhile to figure out why but I believe I have the answer ..at least for the BKK...maybe others.

Take the cover off the t-stat.
With the blowers off put a tissue over the top..not much movement of the tissue is what you will observe.

Turn the blowers on and watch the tissue..air will come up the two openings either side of the flopper for the t-stat...the tissue lifts up big time.
So if the cover is on it seems the air intake is being forced fed.

It's my conclusion that the blowers are supercharging the air flow past the flopper when the t-stat is open ..even if just a little.

It also seems that even if the t-stat is closed that there is more air being drawn in at the bottom up to the air inlet with the blowers on.

I wonder if hot sauce would make this crow taste better..lol.

I'd recommend putting it in a dutch oven with some carrots, onion, garlic, and potato. Let it simmer on top of the BKK for 3 hrs until nice and tender.

Well I knew the conditions in the box had to be changing if the stove did use more wood with the blowers on.
With my cover off all the time I was not seeing the change..at least not as much.
If was only when I put the cover back on that I seen the change in wood consumption.
I don't think the blowers actually blow air up the side tubes..it seems that with the blowers on that the suction from the blowers create more draft up through the tubes...it's kinda strange but it does have a effect.
IE: more air flow coming in behind the stove with the blowers on is my guess.

No biggie you're just confirming with most of us already know. ;) I can torch a load down to a big coal bed in 13-14 hours with the t-stat at 1.75 and the blowers on low, the same t-stat setting with no blowers is 24 hours give or take a little.

No biggie you're just confirming with most of us already know. ;) I can torch a load down to a big coal bed in 13-14 hours with the t-stat at 1.75 and the blowers on low, the same t-stat setting with no blowers is 24 hours give or take a little.
Yeah..at least I think I have found why..lol.
It was bugging the heck out of me.
If anything the fans should have cooled the box and the fire should have slowed some.
But since there is more air flow behind the stove with the fans on that seems to fed the air intake..makes sense to me now.

So, do you think an OAK would even things out? Do you think it's because the blowers suck air in a few inches away from where the combustion air enters?

I do notice a change in the fire when I turn the blowers on.

That don't sound very good to me that the BK stoves gets shorter burn with the blower on.

So, do you think an OAK would even things out? Do you think it's because the blowers suck air in a few inches away from where the combustion air enters?

I do notice a change in the fire when I turn the blowers on.
A OAK install would not be bothered by the blowers.
I guess it's not a big deal that the fire picks up some with the blowers on..I hardly ever use them anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.